• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

importing jpegs or tiff's in Flexi

knabbie

We are importing a jpeg or tiff files applying a contour cut around them, when we sent them print they do not print smooth.

sgns4u

We have found that if you start with a low resolution jpeg then you will get a crappy print. If you can start with a 150dpi or 300dpi jpeg then you will get a much better finished print.

knabbie

We are using 300 and 600 DPI 1:1 images, the files look fine printing through production manager, when they are imported into Flexi they print bad
we are using flexi pro 10.5

zedd2006

I personally find that using a transparent png with 300dpi and 1:1 works best. I only use tiff's and jpegs when i don't need a contour cut and then directly import into the rip. With a transparent png you can automatically do a contour cut and not have to go through the extra steps of making transparent and deleting white space and then doing a contour cut. Saves me alot time. If i missed understood something when i first learned how to do contour cuts with non png's then please correct me, but i found this the best way. Really don't see a color difference with the png's being rgb instead of cmyk. LXI/Flexi screws up my colors every time when i try using vector files for printing. So i have found the png method the most time saving.

zedd2006

I'm sorry, i just realized this post is way old. For some reason it was like 6 posts from the top....weird.

TomK

I'm sorry, i just realized this post is way old. For some reason it was like 6 posts from the top....weird.

:)

We do the same thing as you, start with a 300x300 transparent png, haven't had a problem (yet) with colors and contour cuts on these are stupid simple.

zedd2006

Only problem i have is with the actual printer. When printing bidirectional it prints with a grainyness. I tried increasing the heater temp to 45 and same result, tried different profiles, same result. I ended up just setting it to print unidirectional with a temp of 45 and my prints come out almost perfect.

TomK

:)

We do the same thing as you, start with a 300x300 transparent png, haven't had a problem (yet) with colors and contour cuts on these are stupid simple.

What printer? We are doing these on hp 310 latex, so far no issues.

zedd2006

Mutoh Valuejet 628 24" printer. I wanted the 54" valuejet 1354 but i couldn't afford the loan payment to begin with. Hopefully be buying one next spring.

Edit: I actually wanted the hp latex but getting a 220v ran was going to cost about 5k.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
A lot of times the graininess you get on prints, from otherwise healthy printers, is caused by by the motor speed. Go into your printer settings in Flexi and override the motor speed to slow it down. That should allow you to print bi-directional without graininess. Flexi profiles usually default to the highest motor speed.