• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In need of a new design challenge

I've noticed there hasn't been a design challenge posted recently. I would enjoy participating in something like that to share the experience with others here and learn some things in the process. Who comes up with these and can we start a new one? Something intensely challenging perhaps? Maybe we could get some ideas rollin' anyway.

I think it would be cool to create a complete sign project from start to completion (minus the actual construction of the sign) and post all of the details. For example, if we could come up with an idea for a business at some random property such as a random Google image. You could say the place is the front property of a start up dental office, restaurant, hotel, strip club or whatever seems fitting, assume it's in a commercial business district and have someone here on the forum be designated to set the zoning regulations. We could do a full mock up of a logo design, sign or multiple signs, as well as a business card layout. That way everyone here can take something from it. And we could maybe even go so far as to create a final detailed estimate for the project, so we can get ideas on how people would price these projects in their areas and how their estimates for materials and labor would break down.

Anyway, It's just an idea. Maybe someone else has a better idea to share so we could get a fun project going. I don't know if moderators are in charge of these projects or not, so hopefully I'm not stepping out of line for the suggestion. I've just noticed nobody has posted anything in a while here so it might be fun to get the creative juices flowing again and perhaps make the project a bit elaborate.

SignManiac

I think if you make it to complex or complicated you won't get very much participation. Most of the forum members don't have the knowledge or experience dealing with zoning, permitting or engineering issues.

Fictitious design seems to get the most submissions. Don't set a deadline either nor have it judged. Just get the ball rolling and make it fun. Our day to day lives in the shop are filled with enough pressure already. These challenges should be a way to relax a little and take a break from the real stuff. Just my .02 worth.

I started a couple in the past and they did pretty well using that mindset.

visual800

we are overrun with dental offices around here but Im all for a strip club layout I aint never done one of those cause we in the bible belt and down here God dont appreciate that (I say this outta humor)

WildWestDesigns

we are overrun with dental offices around here but Im all for a strip club layout I aint never done one of those cause we in the bible belt and down here God dont appreciate that (I say this outta humor)

What they do here (and in my hometown) is that right next to a strip club, you'll have some billboard about how you will be struck down if do some evil deed. Usually related to the strip club or adult novelty store whose sign just happens to be right next to that one.