• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In search of a roll printer.

GiveUsSigns

I just purchased a local sign guys company. He did not have a large format printer.
I do have a MiMaki cutter and a Gerber Edge2.
So, I am looking for a large format printer.
I have researched the Epson Eco line, S40,60,80. I was looking at buying the S40 as a printer to get me off the ground. I know the Epson Eco line is highly regarded.
I will mainly be printing stickers for cars and graphics for mx bikes, quads, snow machines etc and do some large format photo printing.
My question is: What other brands in large format would be a good set up for me?

Thanks in advance.

GaryO

Bly

Epsons are great quality printers.
The main problem with eco sol printers is having to wait to laminate and poor scratch resistance.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We built our own dryer for 10% the cost of the genuine one (S80600).
Not sure how they came up with the pricing on that option, but ours works very well when doing low pass printing as the media flies out of the machine so quickly the heated platen doesn't have enough time to fully dry the inks on heavy coverage jobs before it hits the take-up roller so we were getting some jobs sticking to the backing when unrolling. Never happened since then.

GiveUsSigns

I have been also shopping for a nice fairly new used printer. There are just so many out there, my brain is starting to hurt.
Any suggestions or whereabouts of a nice, functional, large format would also be appreciated.

AlsEU

For the wide-format photo printing, Fujifilm Acuity LED1600 would be nice, but it's the LED UV machine, so may not be the best option for car/vehicle wrappings.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I would definitely look towards HP Latex with those requirements.
I don't know so how good Epson is with photo printing? Assuming it would be paper of some kind and I've always though solvent isn't such a good fit for that. I know a few that use latex for photos as well and at least they like how it works.

I don't think you can go too wrong with any of the big brands best sellers, just forget UV.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Our Epson prints phenomenally good photography work. I doubt the graininess of latex would be suitable for high resolution reproductions.
With the right paper, we were printing fine art reproductions on ours and clients loved it. Couldn't tell the difference comparing to an aqueous machine, however the paper selection is rather limited in comparison.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I doubt the graininess of latex would be suitable for high resolution reproductions.
It's not really that bad... Like I said, I know few photographers who use it and like it. It's not for printing postcards and looking at them with magnifier after all.
But if most is stickers and such Epson is probably great and the image quality is better.

FactorDesign

We went from an Epson S50675 (dual cmyk) to a HP Latex 560. Overall it's been a huge improvement, especially in production speed. I think the newer, higher color count epsons might print better, but I love being able to hit print and 30 minutes later be applying a graphic on a small job rather than having to wait for it to dry. We've had recent color consistency issues that would make me shy away from fully recommending it, but I can't say it isn't user error or some rare issue, or it might just be time to replace the heads.

highrolling24

One thing I was told when I was looking for a printer was to make sure you have someone close by that can service it. I purchased a new Roland VG2 and I am more than happy with it, it prints amazing and I laminate shortly after I print so I can install the same day with no problems.

karst41

HP Latex is the most Hassle Free Printer and you can laminate immediately after printing.
I do not recommend the 560- or 570. You lose 20" of media feed on every job.
There are plenty of new 365's available, but I do not know if these have any feed issues that the 500 series has.
750 ml of ink $140 Print heads $125 Cleaning station Cartridge $140

It just does not get cheaper than that, and the media library presets very nice.

SameDay Signs

HP Latex is the most Hassle Free Printer and you can laminate immediately after printing.
I do not recommend the 560- or 570. You lose 20" of media feed on every job.
There are plenty of new 365's available, but I do not know if these have any feed issues that the 500 series has.
750 ml of ink $140 Print heads $125 Cleaning station Cartridge $140

It just does not get cheaper than that, and the media library presets very nice.
I have to disagree with the amount of printhead swap outs needed i went mimaki because it was cheaper then latex...my print head if taken care of will get me 2-3 years minumum and is only $2800 installed) and i was looking at having to swap out a printhead everything 2 months basically for each and at 8 print heads 6 times a year thats $5k a year in print heads? i go through a full set of dual CMYK a week sometimes a little more would you not agree on the print head life of HP or am i just getting bad info?

StratoJet

Merchant Member
Another option to look at is the StratoJet Hawk which comes with a bulk Ink system and a durable Synthetic Water based Inks.
  • No solvents like in Eco-Solvent and Latex
  • 0% VOC
  • 2 years outdoor with no lamination
  • Superflex for Ink stretch and vehicle wraps, no degassing and you can handle, cut and laminate the print immediately
  • $0.9 a sq/ft
  • No auto-flushing wasting Ink
  • No $$ cartridges
  • Ecologically sound
  • 2.6 pc/lt (2400dpi Nano print head)
  • Works with all RIPs or get the StratoFlex RIP, which also includes all the Graphtech drivers, so you only rip the file once for Print & Cut
  • Built using metal components not plastic (seams wired to mention but the way printers are built today...)
  • No E box or motherboard buried in the printer which allows you and the tech to fix 98% of print issues remotely saving hours/days
  • Free 24/7/365 tech support for the life of the printer
  • StratoJet has been developing LFP solutions globally since 1995
The Synthetic Ink Pigments reside in a water base catalyst not solvents, so they aren't 'breaking down' but are kept hydrated which gives the Ink more brilliance, durability and flexibility. The Hawk comes with everything, you can print up to 64" wide on all media and a sensor driven 4x4 feed and take-up for keeping the media feed straight.

Take a look:
https://stratojetusa.com/hawk-72

Troy Lesher

I have been also shopping for a nice fairly new used printer. There are just so many out there, my brain is starting to hurt.
Any suggestions or whereabouts of a nice, functional, large format would also be appreciated.
If your interested in the used Market, i would suggest and reccomend to check out the global Garage. There are several late model R2R printers on there from several manufactureres. MIke Altrueter is the President of GG and a very trustworthy guy 303-996-1134. I send a lot of people to them to buy and sell used gear.