• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In the market for a new cutting bar

Mark1979

Hi

We are currently in the market for a new cutting bar and have been looking at the Keencut Evolution 3 smart fold. It will be mainly used for cutting 3 meter lengths of printed artwork on 5mm foam centred board, with the boards (artwork) being butt jointed. Also potentially looking at getting into pop up display stands. Can anyone recommend it as I am unable to find many reviews online.

Also does anyone have any experience with using it in conjunction with the Evolution 3 smart fold bench? It doesn't look the sturdiest but again very few reviews on line.

Thanks in advance for the views or suggestions on alternatives.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We have the E-2 Evolution 104" and use it to cut all kinds of substrates here, even polymetal and thick PVC sheeting. We bought it in 2015 and haven't had any issues. We did buy the cutting head that takes standard trapezoid blades though, as the one that comes with it uses more expensive blades. We never used the round blade head either.

Mark1979

We have the E-2 Evolution 104" and use it to cut all kinds of substrates here, even polymetal and thick PVC sheeting. We bought it in 2015 and haven't had any issues. We did buy the cutting head that takes standard trapezoid blades though, as the one that comes with it uses more expensive blades. We never used the round blade head either.
Cheers thanks for the info.

tulsagraphics

Hi

We are currently in the market for a new cutting bar and have been looking at the Keencut Evolution 3 smart fold. It will be mainly used for cutting 3 meter lengths of printed artwork on 5mm foam centred board, with the boards (artwork) being butt jointed. Also potentially looking at getting into pop up display stands. Can anyone recommend it as I am unable to find many reviews online.

Also does anyone have any experience with using it in conjunction with the Evolution 3 smart fold bench? It doesn't look the sturdiest but again very few reviews on line.

Thanks in advance for the views or suggestions on alternatives.
I haven't tried the "smart fold" version yet, but the design looks much better than the v2 series I currently operate. They're great cutters in general, but the previous version has several knobs on each side that constantly work themselves loose. It looks like Foster/KC fixed that issue with the v3. I may have to look into it.

As far as pop-up stands go... I used to make them all the time (prior to the pandemic) when the demand for them basically disappeared. I still get "some" orders for stands, but it's tough finding any distributors with inventory. In any case -- if you do get into retractables -- order some from different (reputable) suppliers and see which one(s) you like the best. Avoid the cheap Chinese stands. Those sub $50 units get crushed and/or break so easily. And while there are plenty of expensive models available -- the hardware for a good, entry level, 33" wide stand can be had for about $90-100/ea. (or less if you're buying in bulk, and depending on the style/series/brand). Of course, you should also compare your in-house pricing to what you can farm it out for -- trade suppliers are quite competitive!

Gary1

Hi I have the Evolution 3 Freehand cutter Works very well but because of no fixed base to it you really need a flat surface to use this cutter They are very well made. I have the 120” so I can cut 8’ width prints and corroplast sheets KeenCut products are very highly rated and very well made You won’t go wrong buying one