• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In the market for cheaper laminator.

I’ve had a Master Worf Series laminator for about the last 10 years and it’s been good to me for only running about $1600 at the time I bought it. That being said the outer edges of the rollers seem to have expanded and are pulling 60” material through the machine at a quicker pace over the center of the material making an excess of vinyl material in the center after about 10 feet of laminate ran through. So I’m looking to replace this machine with something equivalent as I only do the graphics as a side job and for me it’s not cost effective to spend 12k+ on a seal or high name brand laminator because it would probably take 2+ years in jobs to pay for itself. Are there any options out there that people could send me in the right direction for something similar to the master laminator brand that doesn’t seem to be around any longer? I feel like a year or so ago you could search eBay and there were 10-15 different laminators for sale. Was searching last night and the options seem to be down to one or two laminators around the 2-3k mark.

truckgraphics

We bought a 60" DMAIS laminator on toolots.com for less than $2,000 a couple years ago and it's been tremendous - knock on wood. Chinese made and comes without instructions, but it was easy enough to figure out. It has a heating element too, but we've never used it. (I'm a little afraid of leaving it on, to be honest, though the machine is well built.)

Ours was shipped from California from a seller or distributor, so it was delivered fast.

However, all the laminators on toolots seem to be out of stock. Alibaba lists the DMAIS laminator, but getting it to the US fast might be a gamble.

If you can find a DMAIS, I recommend it highly.

BTW, our USTech machine, which I believe is the same as a Master Worf, ran into similar problems.

My thought is that a Chinese made machine might only last 5 years or so, but it's very inexpensive, works well, and has a lot of features.

Max Q Labs

I have a Qomolangma 55" with heat assist, and it's AWESOME. Way cheaper than a lot of others, and I can't imagine what would be better with RS or others. My experience in purchasing it was so bad (with a vendor here on this forum) that I am now working direct with the factory, and have access to US inventory. I didn't intend on becoming a reseller, and haven't sold anything yet, but I now know this laminator inside and out, and can assist with any tech support issues. This can ship from US. Please message me for price if you're interested, or let me know and I can video chat with you and show you the machine working live if you'd like to see it, regardless of where you buy it. I just really like it, and am happy to help anyone else that is in the market for one.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I have a Qomolangma 55" with heat assist, and it's AWESOME. Way cheaper than a lot of others, and I can't imagine what would be better with RS or others. My experience in purchasing it was so bad (with a vendor here on this forum) that I am now working direct with the factory, and have access to US inventory. I didn't intend on becoming a reseller, and haven't sold anything yet, but I now know this laminator inside and out, and can assist with any tech support issues. This can ship from US. Please message me for price if you're interested, or let me know and I can video chat with you and show you the machine working live if you'd like to see it, regardless of where you buy it. I just really like it, and am happy to help anyone else that is in the market for one.
Sounds fishy. I have one of their "nice" ones. The roll holders suck and it won't keep tension for shit. It's a cobby design that works as long as you babysit it. I've had to flip flop all of the discs that control the tension, changed out the rubber chord that keeps the rolls tight and still have to keep wedging cardboard behind them to keep the rolls from slipping. Oomalanga or whatever it is is just a brand name that some importer gave to the crap they're buying from various Chinese manufacturers and selling on ebay through order fulfilment warehouses in LA. I still would buy a Chinese laminator again but I'd dig deeper to get one direct from an actual manufacturer. Fayon is one, we have a table from them and believe 2ct does too. It has its quirks but they actually make it.

Max Q Labs

Sounds fishy. I have one of their "nice" ones. The roll holders suck and it won't keep tension for ****. It's a cobby design that works as long as you babysit it. I've had to flip flop all of the discs that control the tension, changed out the rubber chord that keeps the rolls tight and still have to keep wedging cardboard behind them to keep the rolls from slipping. Oomalanga or whatever it is is just a brand name that some importer gave to the crap they're buying from various Chinese manufacturers and selling on ebay through order fulfilment warehouses in LA. I still would buy a Chinese laminator again but I'd dig deeper to get one direct from an actual manufacturer. Fayon is one, we have a table from them and believe 2ct does too. It has its quirks but they actually make it.

Max Q Labs

It is probably sold under several other brands, but I can only give my own experience. I didn't want to invest $10k+ in something I wasn't sure I would use much, but I've been super happy with it. Maybe I just got a good one. Regardless, I'm happy to do live videos with mine if anyone is interested. I bought it through a vendor on here, and omg... super shady. I like the machine, but absolutely hate the seller. I figured that if anyone else is looking for a similarly-priced machine, I'd offer my positive experience with the machine. Take it for what it's worth... I don't sell equipment, and paid full price for mine.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
We have been using a 55in Wide DIAGE cold laminator for 10+yrs and it works fine for us that I paid around $2500 for back then. A sprocket broke on the first and was going to take awhile to get parts
for it so I bought another DAIGE just like it to use and I fixed the first one and kept it as a back up. Can swap them out in 15minutes if something breaks on the 2nd DAIGE.
Not sure if they still make that model though.

Thanks for all the input. It helped send me in some directions to keep looking. I wish toolots.com had some in stock and I would go that route, seems like the safest out of all my current options but thanks to "covid" like everything else they are out stock currently.

Ronderick

Question I have a HP 115 54 inch printer with no take up reel. Would it be hard to laminate prints that are not on a take up reel? Is it possible to laminate free hand? Newbie at this. Thanks

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Question I have a HP 115 54 inch printer with no take up reel. Would it be hard to laminate prints that are not on a take up reel? Is it possible to laminate free hand? Newbie at this. Thanks
Just roll it up by hand. Or buy one of those ebay $200 take-up reels.
You wouldn't probably print 100 feet on the floor, would you? Anyway you shouldn't let stuff hit the floor or it tends to get dirty and that dirt goes under the laminate and it sticks out like crazy.

Max Q Labs

If I just have 15 feet or less, I just roll it up by hand (no core) and babysit it as it goes into the laminator. Short pieces (a few feet) are really easy too. I have also just hand wound material onto a core. It all works well.

Ronderick

Just roll it up by hand. Or buy one of those ebay $200 take-up reels.
You wouldn't probably print 100 feet on the floor, would you? Anyway you shouldn't let stuff hit the floor or it tends to get dirty and that dirt goes under the laminate and it sticks out like crazy.
Got it, thanks!
If I just have 15 feet or less, I just roll it up by hand (no core) and babysit it as it goes into the laminator. Short pieces (a few feet) are really easy too. I have also just hand wound material onto a core. It all works well.