• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In which order???????

"Deposit Please"

Have to letter up a semi (peterbilt). Customer provided MC, ICC and USDOT numbers. I'm not sure in which order is proper or does it matter ???? It will go on both sides of the tractor.
MC #
ICC #
USDOT# ?????

tomence

I would put:

USDOT
MC
KYU or ICC

A trucking company is identify by the US DOT# when a truck is pulled at the weight station. The first thing a dot cop is looking for is the US DOT#, so i think the appropriate place is on the top.

Jane Diaz

It really doesn't matter what order, that we have ever heard. We do tons of semis and we have never had an issue with what ever order. When there IS a question about the numbers, we tell the customer (nicely) that we are not responsible for knowing that info as we aren't truckers but they can probably contact their state DOT and they can help them. The one that we DO know is that most of the states require that the letters/numbers are 2" high (or readable for at least a certain distance that they specify).
One other one that come up often is what ever their paper work says, they need to say the same thing on their truck. If their name says "Ed Smith Trucking" it can't read just "Smith Trucking" or "Ed Smith".

tomence

Another quick tip. When you get this customers offer them a set of vin numbers as well because they have to have them if driving thru Colorado. If they don't ticket is $600.

ionsigns

Just and Idea

When in doubt when posed with your dilema I would go to the nearest truck stop for a few minutes with my small video camera.

Sit by the entrance and video trucks coming and going. Review the data and use the most common format.

Present to the customer format 1 (most common) and format 2 (second most common). Customer likes, or dislikes, make adjustments, customer signs off, finish work, get paid!

Put data in file to reference for next similar job - research pays off dividends. :rock-n-roll:

Last edited:

ionsigns

Great state idea - vin # on truck

:clapping:
Another quick tip. When you get this customers offer them a set of vin numbers as well because they have to have them if driving thru Colorado. If they don't ticket is $600.

The VIN number typed in the police database can bring up a treasure trove of data to enforce the law, find stolen vehicles and more important - maybe find suspended drivers and dangerous criminals.