• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Increasing Productivity with Web-based Tools

3M Graphics

Merchant Member
Focus on Your Expertise
People usually start or acquire a business because they have a certain expertise that is of value to others. Consider, for example, a businessperson with an eye for design and color, and a talent for designing exhibits and displays who opens a shop that creates and installs signs, floor graphics and vehicle wraps. Along with running the business come “non-core” functions such as payroll, bookkeeping and marketing.

These non-core functions are often done much more efficiently by a service provider, an online tool, some simple software, or a combination of these options. A good example is a payroll service. This could take the form of some relatively simple software that helps you generate your payroll and calculate tax withholdings, to an actual service that handles everything, including cutting the checks. When you streamline the non-core functions you can move more quickly and efficiently in your business and get a lot more done.

An Overview of Business Tools
As a business owner, it is vital that you have an understanding of advanced tools and technologies. This helps increase business efficiency and even expand operations. Here are examples of some business tools:

Accounting software. This allows you to see your profits and losses, and can help you design and maintain a budget for your business, even if you have an accountant or bookkeeper.

Planning software or tools. A calendar or scheduling application is a must. There are many online planning systems that can help you keep your calendar organized. Find a system that meets the needs of your business and stick with it.

Time-tracking software. This software will help you determine what tasks result in a profit and what tasks do not. It will also help you discern what tasks can be eliminated, outsourced or improved.

Mobile Internet access. Access to the Internet on your mobile device can help you maintain a positive reputation for your business. For
example, if you are able to follow up with a client by email immediately after a meeting, it shows you are accessible, timely and professional.

Email marketing services. There are email marketing providers that will help you build and manage your email list, including subscriber requests, email address changes, and tools to compose communications to your customers. For example, you can publish a newsletter, send out special discounts and promotions, or otherwise just stay in touch with existing and past customers. (Some of these services have a list of freelancers or someone internal to write and proof your communications.) We all know how important word of mouth and referrals are for business. A software system like this can make you much more effective; save you time and money; and can save on your sales expenses because you are maintaining a relationship with past customers.

Project management tools. These tools allow you to manage projects in an organized way so you can keep track of all the business you have going on. You use them internally with your team, but you also can give some limited access to customers. For example, they can log in or receive an email alert that tells them exactly where things stand at any given time. You can tailor the look and use a logo. Some project management systems have a time-keeping system setup, so certain people can keep track of the timeline on their projects. A project management tool can be very useful, both externally and internally. Most of these software systems are accessible over the Web. You just go to a project management company online and set up an account. They can be very inexpensive – $20 to $30 a month.

Finding the Right Tools

To find what’s really right for you, do a search for “review of …” on Google, or “compare this product to that product.” In addition, you may wish to look at product reviews at any number of product review sites including the Small Business Administration, SCORE and Small BusinessTrends.

More than four-million businesses use Google Apps for Web-based email, calendaring and documents for teams, and several factors have driven the transition. While improved productivity and cost savings have long been at the top of the list, more and more customers are choosing Google Apps for its security and reliability benefits. In addition, many customers have tools that integrate well with Google Apps. You can import information from one tool to another and use it throughout your entire process. You can also find ratings on the apps and see which ones are most popular.

Leading the Way
It takes an investment of time up front to learn how to use any of these tools. You, and perhaps multiple people in your organization, will have to spend some time getting up to speed on the tools. Don’t get frustrated. Most online tools don’t have formal training programs, but they may have online “self-help” tips, training videos or “help” files.

As leader of the organization, you need to be a good example for the rest of your team, and help them confidently feel like they can master these tools. Also, if you can make someone in your organization the internal expert on a particular tool, that’s great. It makes them feel good, gives them a feeling of accomplishment and confidence, and boosts their skills. And you know that your investment in that tool is being used to its fullest extent.

Keeping up with Technology
Staying up-to-date with the latest technologies can be a daunting task, so try to keep it simple. Ask colleagues what types of products and services they are using. Read – especially online – about some of these productivity tools, because there are new ones coming out all the time (find a few blogs to read regularly). At the next Chamber of Commerce meeting or industry conference, get referrals from others for tools they use. You might ask your employees – those who are adept online or who have worked at other places. You don’t have to become an expert in every category. You just need to know enough to pick something for your business.

Web-Based Tools That Directly Apply to Your Business
3M Commercial Graphics has a collection of Web-based tools designed to help you increase productivity at your sign shop. These tools are all directly related to your expertise – the source of your competitive edge. These tools include:

Videos – Discover useful tips designed to contribute to the success of your installations. Check periodically for new titles.

ICC/color profile selector – Download the most recent profile for your printer, courtesy of 3M.

PANTONE® color reference – Find a PANTONE color match for 3M products. This can save precious time and money by helping to take the guesswork out of vinyl color selection.

MSDS Search – Find a Material Safety Data Sheet.

At 3Mgraphics.com, additional tools are available, including: a quick way to find 3M product solutions by application; updated technical bulletins; product literature; the 3M Graphics Product Catalog; 3M Technical Self-Help Search; Certificate of 3M™ MCS™ Warranty and 3M Graphics Installer Program details.

3M and MCS are trademarks of 3M.

Last edited:

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Boil that down to a few solid point-form sentences and you might, just might entice me to read more...

(and thank goodness that AdBlock+ can take care of unnecessary graphics for me...)

mikefine

3M How about 3M's online Visual Attention Service?

If you haven't heard of it, VAS is an application that scans graphics and shows what elements will grab attention. I think it could be awesome for the sign industry -- if it really worked.

Unfortunately, I can not seem to be able to activate the free trial (I was told not compatible with Macs) and the service is just too cost prohibitive to try it out. So I am not sure if this is just a pie in the sky idea, or something that sign professionals could actually use.

Has anybody used it, and 3M -- can you offer more info? Thanks in advance.

HulkSmash

I appreciate the 3 page article, You know what else i'd appreciate? Responding to the support ticket we submitted a few weeks ago.

3M Graphics

Merchant Member
ColoradoSigns, It's my understanding that a product quality claim was filed via our Quality Direct process on your behalf by your 3M distributor.

The claim is in the analysis stage and will be concluded soon. Someone will follow up with you directly soon.

Thanks.

HulkSmash

ColoradoSigns, It's my understanding that a product quality claim was filed via our Quality Direct process on your behalf by your 3M distributor.

The claim is in the analysis stage and will be concluded soon. Someone will follow up with you directly soon.

Thanks.

Thank-you for the follow up. Hopefully it doesn't get lost like the one i submitted back in September.

Again Thank-you!