• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Ink consumption sublimation

500orange

Hey all,

I am interested to know what are you ink consumptions per m2/square foot for sublimation.
All dealers are telling me I should calculate 15ml/m2 but after some calculations we are really using 1-1.5ml/m2 with Epson f6300 and 2ml/m2 with Mutoh XPJ 1642.
Ink limit is set to 200-220%, depending on the product/profile.

I am not sure whether I am making a calculation error or that is a reality.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
We used to calculate it but it always seemed a lost cause as ink cost is relatively low and we'd loose a lot of ink in ink bags that had chips that errored out and issues like that. It also seemed like the dealer estimates were pretty far off as well.

500orange

Do you remember what your calculations were? It makes sense to account for lost ink as well.
If consumption is 15ml/m2 then cost, at least for our margins, is significant. If it is really 1-2ml/m2 then I agree, cost is nothing.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
It's been to long to look for the spreadsheets but I think it was $0.15-.25 per square foot. It's hard though as a lot of times we're printing transfers for apparel and the majority of the paper is white space. That's why in the end we just stopped. It's a different story if you're doing displays as that stuff is usually big blocks of color. We print a lot of towels and it was helpful for that but some designs are just so much more saturated than others that it really throws things off. Sorry, wish I could help more. I think that some rips will do the calculations for you.