• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Ink Near End" - What do?

A&ESignShoppe

So I'm printing with this brand new VJ 1204 that we've only had for about 3-4 months now, and our very first magenta cartridge is finally nearing it's end. The machine is giving me the "[M] Ink Near End" message and constantly beeping. We've already got the new cartridge to replace it with, so that's no problem.

What I'm wanting to know is, seeing as how it's still accepting new print jobs from the printer, is it alright to go ahead and let it run until it's completely out of ink? Or do I need to go ahead and replace the cartridge right now? As far as I can see, the only problem would be the incessant beeping, but annoying as it is, I can put up with it if it means I can squeeze a few more drops of ink out of the cartridge before I have to replace it.

Let me know if I'm doing something wrong. I'm still very new to how this machine works. I'd replace it right now, but my thriftiness still gets the better of me.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Keep on printing until it stops you. When it runs out, it will tell you and you just put the new one in. It will continue printing. Also, when you turn the machine on and it starts beeping, hit the cancel button and the beeping should stop.

heyskull

Firstly I thought the 1204 was superseded a long time ago (2008/9) by the 1304 and now the 1324.
But it seems to come up on Mutohs US web site so it must be still sold over there.

Secondly unlike the bigger 1604, 1614 and 1624 with subtanks the 1204 does not have internal ink subtanks.
Meaning when the cartridge is empty the machine has used all the ink.
I realise on these machines it is always advisable to have new cartridges to replace when empty.
As I know you can leave our 1604 quiet a while before it will run dry (not a good idea though!) due to the cleaning facilities.

SC

Conor Knoxx

I've had a 1204 for 7 years now. I run'em dry, no problem - swapping cartridges doesn't ruin the current print. To stop the beeping, I push "enter" (not cancel) even during printing, without any problems.