• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink Smearing

nationwms

Hello. My shop runs a JV3-160S. Lately I've run into a snag when printing vinyl banners. At certain points the ink start to smear in one or two spots on the job. Anyone have an explanation as to what can cause this and what I can do to fix it?

More than likely, your heater settings are causing the banner media to buckle, causing a head strike with the media. That would account for the smearing that you are experiencing.

The solution(s) would include:
1) Lower your heater settings.
2) Use a tensioned take-up system which will force the media to remain flat on the printer platens.

Bob

gabagoo

make sure your heads are set to thick. I find a heat setting of 38C and 33C works well with banners

nationwms

Thank you for your help folks. My banner heat settings are normal… around 40°C and the heads are set to thick too but I Bob Price mentioned the take-up reel… I finally realized that the tension hasn't been tightened in a long time. Sheesh, thanks for the reminder. I think that should do the trick.

ColesCreations

We are getting better prints now with lower heat setting, 40 deg caused vinyl to buckle, ever so slightly, causing banding and sometimes head strikes. Does not help to tighten the take-up, as the waves go across. The media expands with heat, and it has nowhere to go except up. Try 30 deg. C, see if it helps.

One thing I have done w/ my Mutoh is re-roll the banner material on the back. I've found it sometimes pulls at different rates across the width, so when I pre-roll it out to give it some slack, never strikes anymore - just sucks to have to babysit.

nationwms

Still happening

Ok folks, I've tried adjusting the heat settings (Pre: 30°, Print: 35°) and the tension on the take-up reel and I'm still getting media strikes. The media is always set to thick too. This is such a strange problem because I've used the same settings for over a year then this suddenly starts happening.

I'm clueless now… anyone have anymore thoughts?