• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Input & Advice, Please

Brad Knight

Hello all - well, I'm in Indianapolis right now, and I'm hanging out and checking everything out... and we've decided that we're going to go with a Roland printer, BUT...

... I've boiled it down to two setups and I'd like some input from everyone here.

The first setup is the just the VS540. We're going to go ahead with the dual CMYK for the speed. It's an awesome machine - the RIP software an everything else is great...

The second setup is the RE-640 + GX640 plotter. It's dual CMYK - it has the same DX-5 print head, print speed and versatility is about the same... cut speed is about the same... just separates.

Now, we're a relatively young company, and we're not going to run into the production bottle necks (at least not right away) -with the all in one - BUT you get an additional 10 inches with the 640... but you lose twice the space.

Now, with the VS - when we get the laminator (soon), we'll have to print - move to laminator - move back to cutter - anyway, so the advantages of the combo machine will be lost - unless you're doing more interior non-laminated work.

So, I know the big pro's and con's - I would like some advice who have run set up both ways and if anyone has any advice.

ChicagoGraphics

Small or large shops allway's run into having to print and needing to cut at the same time. I use to have a printer/cutter and now have 2 different machines.

If I were you I'd go with a stand alone printer and cutter, but if your limited on space get the all in one.

2B

Small or large shops allway's run into having to print and needing to cut at the same time. I use to have a printer/cutter and now have 2 different machines.

If I were you I'd go with a stand alone printer and cutter, but if your limited on space get the all in one.

+1

we are running some VS -640s due to small work area limitations, and when space permits a separate cutter will be brought in

Brad Knight

Thanks for you time & input - and we have the room, and I we're going to go with the seperates, we might lose SOME convienence, but we'll get the extra 10 inches (and really, who wouldn't like an extra 10 inches) and God willing, we'll grow into the need to keep multiple machines rocking all the time.

Thanks!

Brad Knight

We want to be able to do as much as possible in house - up to wraps (and yes, we will get training and practice o our own vehicles before doing customers) but there aren't - as far as I'm aware - large format printers within 50 miles. There are a few plotters - and that's what 99% of the local signs are. We're trying to change what a sign shop is in out area!

tomence

Go with the printer and a separate cutter. I just bought the new Roland RE-640 with a separate Summa cutter. I really wanted to get the Mimaki JV33 but it was little bit more expensive and also the ink smelled a lot more than the Roland and wife did not like that so i had to listen to her also, she played a big role in purchasing our printer. I have no idea what kind of print output to expect from the Roland because i never had the chance to see it running but the dealer that sold me the printer is only 10 minutes away from me and they know their Roland printers so customer and tech service is another reason i went with the Roland. You get two year warranty on parts and labor which is a big plus.

Brad Knight

I went with the RE-640 and the CAMM GX-640 cutter!!

I've got a consulting job I've got to be on until next month, but Graphic Solutions will be out to install it when I return.

I spent a lot of time weighing the pros and cons and I appreciate the input!