• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Input on HP Plotter

jimbug72

We are having some feeding issues with our old Graphtec FC8000-130 and we are having trouble sorting the problem. I'm still waiting for Graphtec support to get back with me to see if we can find a solution, and in the mean time I'm shopping plotters.

As much as I'd like to entertain a Summa cutter, it's a bit out of our budget.

If we can't sort out our feeding problem, (and possibly even if we can) we are entertaining the thought of buying either a HP Latex 54" Plus Cutting Solution or a Graphtec FC9000-140 Plotter from Grimco.

I'm leaning towards the HP since we have moved over to an HP 315. I like the idea of the HP FlexiPRINT and CUT RIP system, and I wouldn't mind moving away from Cutting Master 4, as it doesn't always want to play nice with newer versions of Illustrator and from what little I've read Cutting Master 5 seems to have plenty of it's own issues.

Wondering if anyone has any input or feedback on these two options.

TIA for any thoughts.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I have an HP315 and an FC9000. Got them both through GSG. No complaints with either one. I got them both through GSG. I didnt go with the HP all in one solutions because I knew I would be laminating and it seemed pointless.
I have to say, that after hearing about peoples issues with printhead and ink on other printers, HP is the best at having cost effective consumables. I've had the printer for about 5 years and the plotter almost 2 years.
I have flexi and it's great. They have a great support staff.

jimbug72

I have an HP315 and an FC9000. Got them both through GSG. No complaints with either one. I got them both through GSG. I didnt go with the HP all in one solutions because I knew I would be laminating and it seemed pointless.
I have to say, that after hearing about peoples issues with printhead and ink on other printers, HP is the best at having cost effective consumables. I've had the printer for about 5 years and the plotter almost 2 years.
I have flexi and it's great. They have a great support staff.
Thanks for the response Geneva.

We've had this FC8000 for probably 10-12 years now and have had no complaints/issues until now. It's an odd problem and Graphtec's tech support is slowly turning into a problem for me but that's another unrelated problem. I'm coming around to the 315 printer (so much more spoilage/complicated operation compared to our old Roland).

I wouldn't have a problem moving up to the FC9000 if need be, but I guess I'm really mostly curious as to the quality/functionality of the HP plotter, as well as if the work flow is better/worse/similar for print/cut procedures using the HP FlexiPRINT and CUT RIP system over what we are using now, and would be using with the FC9000 which is FlexiPRINT RIP for printing, then cutting through Illustrator using the Cutting Master 4 plugin.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
got no clue on the hp plotter. but if it's anything like any of their other products, I say try it out. To be honest, I had an old HPL25500 that I bought first and it was the gsg technician that came out and told me about buying a new one through gsg. If I were you, I would call the technicians that service these puppies and tell you which ones are the best ones.

jimbug72

Thanks for the input. After some back and fourth with the techs at Graphtec, it seems our wheel assemblies have cracked. They are parts no longer available and would require us to send them in to a shop in FL to have them rebuilt. The repair would only be a few hundred $ but will leave us dead in the water for 2+ weeks, as far as cutting goes.

We have decided to go with the HP based in part by the input from the Problem Solver and the Expert Story Teller. Thanks to you both for taking the time! :toasting:

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
curious to see how it works out for you. Looks like you're getting a summa with an HP logo.
which would make sense. HP makes computers, and printers. not plotters. post videos!