• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installation Bubbles

daenterpri

I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos, tried both the horizontal and vertical hinge methods, and I still get bubbles with dry installs. What am I doing wrong? Are bubbles just normal to a degree?

J

john1

another factor is use a fresh squeegee. If the squeegee has chips in it or is rough it will cause bubbles.

Also, if you can get the vinyl with air egress channels to prevent bubbles as well.

HulkSmash

The only time we've ever got bubbles in vinyl is when we use off brand cut vinyl. So never doing that again

OhioSignShop

Clean the surface several times as needed, last cleaning with just H2O. Prior to all that make sure the application tape is smooth when applied. Most problems are from tiny specks on surface or being picked up by static charge when laying down the vinyl, or from improper squeegee methods. Takes some experience on various surfaces to get better at it. Nothing wrong with the wet methods except it sucks on glass.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bubbles are almost always the result of bad application technique. Not dirty substrate although reasonably clean is required, not less than pristine squeegees, not cheap vinyl.

Do not give undue reverence to your tools and supplies. If you have the proper technique should be able to squeegee down the nastiest vinyl with any reasonably straight edge and not have any bubbles.

MikePro

bad transfer tape application will cause bubbles as well.

just takes practice. i've been applying vinyl for 15+ years now and will still get random bubbles.... rarely.

jasonx

Most people get bubbles due to incorrect squeegee technique and using not enough overlapping strokes and trying to squeegee too much vinyl at once. Bubbles are trapped air so you need to expel it before the adhesive touches the application surface.

Tony McD

Let the squeegee make the vinyl to substrate contact. Don't let it touch till the squeegee puts it down.

Clean the surface really well...till it squeaks.
Be careful where you lay your vinyl before hand. If you lay the vinyl on something, and get dust on the backing paper, it will transfer to the just cleaned area and cause dust bumps in the finished result. These may appear to be bubbles but are actually dirt underneath.