• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing 1/2" PVC sign on dry wall

eye4clr

I'm a digital print guy that knows almost nothing about onsite installations.

I have a client who wants a 1/2" PVC, 48" circle mounted to a typical splatter painted dry wall.

The goal is to minimize the damage on the wall and be able to take it down and move it since they may be changing locations in the near future.

Can anyone please direct me to a suitable solution that can educate myself on?

Letterbox Mike

Use a french cleat. There's not a lot you can do to eliminate damage to the drywall, but you should be able to use a cleat and get away with a minimum of screw holes, maybe 3-4 at most.

dj_elite

I have used stand offs. They look good too

Attachments

• stand offs.jpg
    stand offs.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Plexi Sign 60 x 24.jpg
    Plexi Sign 60 x 24.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 51

eye4clr

Sincere thanks for the french cleat suggestion.

I don't want to do stand offs as it is a Jiu-Jitsu school. So it may get some bump and grind. Projecting off the wall will only weaken it.

Thanks for the solution!

letterman7

Four drywall screws right through the face spaced around the perimeter. Bury the heads flush and cover with the same color vinyl or print (or, hang the disc, then install your print). Figure out where there is a stud to grab with the top and bottom screw and you're good to go, even if someone cracks into it.

eye4clr

love the simplicity and durability of the dry wall screw option.

More pain to mount the print once it is installed, but not too bad. Oh, wait, I'd have to destroy the print to remove it though. Rats.

GVP

With ½" PVC, we drill half-way into the back and insert metal studs (we use left over ones from Gemini) secure in place with epoxy. Hold up to wall and push enough to mark the drywall (you can spot the ends with lipstick or similar if you like), drill through and then silicone the studs into the holes. Back of sign will be flush with wall, and fixings completely hidden.

J Hill Designs

I do the same, except 2/3-3/4 through, bit slightly smaller than stud, so it taps itself in, then secure with a dab of epoxy

Letterbox Mike

If you screw through the face, remember you'll have to predrill a pilot hole slightly larger than the diameter of the screw, if you tighten PVC down too tight it'll warm with temperature changes, even indoors.