• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing Avery Conform Chrome Matte Silver

Dr. Decal

I have been designing, printing, and installing car wraps for 8 years now. I have never had anyone willing to pay for a chrome wrap, so I have never seen this stuff in person. I have a crazy rush job for a state agency this week, and they are drop shipping me some of the Avery SF100 Conform Chrome in Matte Silver. (I thought matte chrome would just be grey) This project is not a vehicle wrap. It is a flat panel cabinet inside of an airstream trailer. With normal vinyl, this would be a very easy install. Has anyone ever worked with this material, and are there any precautions I need to take to keep from scratching it, or special install techniques different from regular wrap vinyl?

I will use a felt squeegee. I seem to remember from the Justin Pate class I took years ago, that he would wet his squeegee when installing chrome. Also do I knee a special blade to cut this stuff cleanly?

kalvix

we usually laminate it almost immediately after opening then install as normal. Use Avery 1360 or other similar laminate. Other wise use new squeegees, and Teflon sleeve and keep it clean.

KSTrooper

Wrapper, designer, illustrator
I have been designing, printing, and installing car wraps for 8 years now. I have never had anyone willing to pay for a chrome wrap, so I have never seen this stuff in person. I have a crazy rush job for a state agency this week, and they are drop shipping me some of the Avery SF100 Conform Chrome in Matte Silver. (I thought matte chrome would just be grey) This project is not a vehicle wrap. It is a flat panel cabinet inside of an airstream trailer. With normal vinyl, this would be a very easy install. Has anyone ever worked with this material, and are there any precautions I need to take to keep from scratching it, or special install techniques different from regular wrap vinyl?

I will use a felt squeegee. I seem to remember from the Justin Pate class I took years ago, that he would wet his squeegee when installing chrome. Also do I knee a special blade to cut this stuff cleanly?

I know with the 3M chrome they recommend some sort of special lubricant for the squeegee after you remove the protective layer. Not sure if the Avery is the same way. Please keep us posted on how it goes - I'm curious about the chrome wrap vinyl myself.

Dr. Decal

So I finished the job yesterday. I was only hired as an installer for this one, so I installed what they sent me, didn't laminate it.
I was unaware that it had a protective layer over it, and was finding minor scratches no matter what I tried...(Soaped felt squeegee, Big Easy roller).
I realized the protective layer was there, and peeled it away to reveal a nearly flawless finish. Had a few small air pockets to deal with, can't seem to get consistent pressure with that roller, even on normal wrap film.
The stuff stretches and cuts much like regular film, but the protective layer makes it very thick. Once that layer is removed, it is very thin and pretty fragile. It takes heat and stretches fairly well but definitely has it's limits.
I thought the color was a poor design choice for this project but the install went pretty smoothly. I got to do it on location at the World Boy Scout Jamboree, so that was pretty cool.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
So I finished the job yesterday. I was only hired as an installer for this one, so I installed what they sent me, didn't laminate it.
I was unaware that it had a protective layer over it, and was finding minor scratches no matter what I tried...(Soaped felt squeegee, Big Easy roller).
I realized the protective layer was there, and peeled it away to reveal a nearly flawless finish. Had a few small air pockets to deal with, can't seem to get consistent pressure with that roller, even on normal wrap film.
The stuff stretches and cuts much like regular film, but the protective layer makes it very thick. Once that layer is removed, it is very thin and pretty fragile. It takes heat and stretches fairly well but definitely has it's limits.
I thought the color was a poor design choice for this project but the install went pretty smoothly. I got to do it on location at the World Boy Scout Jamboree, so that was pretty cool.

Nice info man thanks for sharing! Did you get any pictures?