• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing VersaWork on new Hard Drive?

phototec

I had the HD fail on my work station computer which had VersaWorks on it installed by the Roland Tech that setup the printer.

I had to install a new hard drive with Windows 7 and need to load VersaWorks on the new HD, do you also have to load a printer drivers for the SP-540V?

In the past I have seen posts about having problems setting up an IP address for the printer, can anyone offer suggestions to help me get the printer back up and running. I know very little (nothing really) about IP addresses, etc. Make it simple for me to follow...

I have the OLD VersaWorks software disks from 2010, but I remember the tech had to call Roland in Californoa to get some kind of number to get VersaWorks to work. I hope I can figure it out, for this NEW install?

T H A N K S

Ragnabrok

No print driver needed for the network based machines, versaworks will handle that on its own.

Ip address will be the same, since it is set on the printer itself. If you don't know it, a free program called intercon net-tool will find it, and list the IP address.

If the computer and printer are on a network, life is easy, inter the number when you install versaworks, and thats it. If it is a direct connection from the PC to the printer, it gets a little more involved.

Depending on the version you have on the disk, versaworks has to be manually updated to 3.2, and can be automatically upgraded to the most recent after that, likely what the tech had to do.

phototec

No print driver needed for the network based machines, versaworks will handle that on its own.

Ip address will be the same, since it is set on the printer itself. If you don't know it, a free program called intercon net-tool will find it, and list the IP address.

If the computer and printer are on a network, life is easy, inter the number when you install versaworks, and thats it. If it is a direct connection from the PC to the printer, it gets a little more involved.

Depending on the version you have on the disk, versaworks has to be manually updated to 3.2, and can be automatically upgraded to the most recent after that, likely what the tech had to do.

I just looked and I only have a SEALD VersaWorks 2.30 CD, I remember the tech saying he had a newer version that he installed.

So now I have to get something newer like 3.2 that you suggested, however I have been on the ROLANDGA website and can't find VersaWorks to download. I am a registered user, however I can't find a download link.

Does anyone know or have the VersaWorks download link?

Thanks

phototec

You have to install first from a disk, then update. You have to have a disk install first.

Not true see this post: http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?72748-Anywhere-to-download-(not-update)-Versaworks

I purchase my Roland SP-540V and it was installed in Oct. 2010, the Roland tech didn't use the VersaWorks CD Version 2.30 that came with the new printer (which is still sealed in the plastic case) because I was using Windows 7, he had to call Roland and have them download a newer version that would install in Windows 7, and then it has been auto updated through the years.

In the link posted above, Roland can send a one time FREE download as long as you can verify I own the hardware and the software (check your name against the serial number) and can issue you a one-time download authorization via email.

All I have is the 2.30 version that is still sealed, it will not LOAD in Windows 7.....

player

Not true see this post: http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?72748-Anywhere-to-download-(not-update)-Versaworks

I purchase my Roland SP-540V and it was installed in Oct. 2010, the Roland tech didn't use the VersaWorks CD Version 2.30 that came with the new printer (which is still sealed in the plastic case) because I was using Windows 7, he had to call Roland and have them download a newer version that would install in Windows 7, and then it has been auto updated through the years.

In the link posted above, Roland can send a one time FREE download as long as you can verify I own the hardware and the software (check your name against the serial number) and can issue you a one-time download authorization via email.

All I have is the 2.30 version that is still sealed, it will not LOAD in Windows 7.....

I installed from version 1.01 on Win7 Pro. As I recall I installed as Administrator and used a compatible windows version. It worked for me. Although they did say it couldn't be done...

phototec

I installed from version 1.01 on Win7 Pro. As I recall I installed as Administrator and used a compatible windows version. It worked for me. Although they did say it couldn't be done...

Ok, I set two request to Roland support about this issue, because I have been told the you need version 3.2 or newer to load into Win 7. I do have the 2.30 version CD which has never been opened, I guess it would hurt to try, I didn't think it would give you a Win 7 option because back then I didn't think they had Win7.....

Hopefully Roland will come through and provide the ONETIME download too me and I will be able to get VW back up and running.

Answer me a question, you told me to make a IMAGE of my HD, if I had that and had to start all over with a blank new HD, would I have been able to load that image on the drive and have all my Adobe software and VW just as before?

player

Ok, I don't want to have to go through this so I need to CLONE or IMAGE the hard drives on all my computes.

According to this article a CLONE is better?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2029832/backing-up-your-entire-drive-cloning-vs-imaging.html

Any thoughts on this an what software do you use?

I thought they were the same thing... I use Acronis. I has an icon for that. click and follow the instructions. There is a free software that someone mentioned online here. I will see if I can find it.

I read something that you need to verify the integrity of the new disk to ensure the clone works... I need to know about that.

player

Ok, I don't want to have to go through this so I need to CLONE or IMAGE the hard drives on all my computes.

According to this article a CLONE is better?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2029832/backing-up-your-entire-drive-cloning-vs-imaging.html

Any thoughts on this an what software do you use?

OK so it looks like from the article one way is the complete duplication of the drive. The other way is a complete BUT compressed as a ZIP file on a hard drive. Then later you can use software to decompress it and load it on a drive. The first option takes more space, but when you want to use it, it is a simple plug and play. The ZIP method allows for multiple copies on a hard drive. This can save space, and give you a timeline of different clones or duplicates or whatever they are called on one drive. The disadvantage is you have to build the new drive, and you need software to do anything with it.

WildWestDesigns

OK so it looks like from the article one way is the complete duplication of the drive. The other way is a complete BUT compressed as a ZIP file on a hard drive. Then later you can use software to decompress it and load it on a drive. The first option takes more space, but when you want to use it, it is a simple plug and play. The ZIP method allows for multiple copies on a hard drive. This can save space, and give you a timeline of different clones or duplicates or whatever they are called on one drive. The disadvantage is you have to build the new drive, and you need software to do anything with it.

This is what I was talking to you earlier, make a .tib file. Which is a backup of your harddrive. You would need acronis again to install it back, but it gives you more options and you can update as you go.

Cloning a hard drive is a one off. You have to manually do it each and every time. tib files can be set on a schedule.

Cloning is not technically a back up solution.

phototec: if you had made a backup of your harddrive earlier, your issues with 5.5 and CC wouldn't exist. The only issue that you would run in to is if you had changed other key components (say motherboard) as the UUID is locked with that software.

InkjetAuction

Make it simple...

Make your life easier... and install from a recent version installer.

PM me and I'll get you a link to a full copy of 5.1 and a 5.21 Offline Updater.

The nice thing about the 5.21 Offline Updater is that it still includes all of the profiles... so you aren't forced to use the Roland Profile Center.

Install the 5.1. Setup your printer. Then run the updater... and it will install the missing profiles.

Be aware that you are looking at almost a 3GB download between the two archives.

~E

You have to PM me with contact info. I will not respond to public requests on the forum. I'll need your name, company and good email address.

Tatorkay15

Make it simple...

Make your life easier... and install from a recent version installer.

PM me and I'll get you a link to a full copy of 5.1 and a 5.21 Offline Updater.

The nice thing about the 5.21 Offline Updater is that it still includes all of the profiles... so you aren't forced to use the Roland Profile Center.

Install the 5.1. Setup your printer. Then run the updater... and it will install the missing profiles.

Be aware that you are looking at almost a 3GB download between the two archives.

~E

You have to PM me with contact info. I will not respond to public requests on the forum. I'll need your name, company and good email address.
Can you tell me if 5.1 will work on versacamm so-500v