• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Interesting..

bannertime

I know Microsoft has professional/enterprise grade software and could successfully re-deploy Adobe products, but I'm not sure I could see this being a good thing, in any way. All I can think about is Photoshop, but it looks like Word. I don't like it.

WildWestDesigns

I know Microsoft has professional/enterprise grade software and could successfully re-deploy Adobe products, but I'm not sure I could see this being a good thing, in any way. All I can think about is Photoshop, but it looks like Word. I don't like it.

If they keep it running independently and it just happens to be owned by MS, then I think it could work out.

I would have other concerns above that though, but that's tin foil hat territory.

I'm not to thread of the latest vogue of software acquisitions though. But I don't know how realistically this would go through with that price tag, but it all depends on the c/b of it all.

bannertime

I really don't think it'd have that much of an impact on the standard user like myself. My biggest concern would be over simplification of the base software and then releasing "business" grade software for more.

WildWestDesigns

My biggest concern would be over simplification of the base software and then releasing "business" grade software for more.

Funny that you would mention that. That is actually what I'm worried about the direction that Windows could go. Base OS and it's functionality would be the same, but if you want say DirectX with more functionality or if you want to be able to use that rig for content creation that requires more "umph" that would be a tacked on subscription fee (fee in general, but the way that software is, it'll be a subscription fee).

Shoot, if a regular user wants to get the Enterprise edition of Windows, that's what $7 or $10 a month? They are already partially there.

Enterprise customers already have Win 10 (bundled with 365) with a subscription option. I don't think that same option would fly for regular consumers, that's why I think it'll be more inline with "you want extra functionality" that will be the subscription portion.

That could easily translate to the other software under the MS moniker as well.

The world of software is definitely morphing (not a fan of it either).

Andy D

Not that they would, but legally could Microsoft make all of their next generation Adobe software only run on Microsoft?

WildWestDesigns

Not that they would, but legally could Microsoft make all of their next generation Adobe software only run on Microsoft?

I wouldn't see why not.

Adobe bought Substance Painter (well the whole suite, but Substance Painter is the only one that I care about) and I'm willing to bet in the next year, it will no longer have Linux support. It will suck, but that's the way the cookie crumbles on occasion.

I doubt that they will do that, however, mainly because it doesn't look like MS is that Windows centric like it was back in the day. Everybody is all about the cloud and it really doesn't matter much about the device OS that is running as much anymore.

Category5

If the Microsoft development team were to get turned loose on Adobe software, it would destroy creative software as we know it. Photoshop, for instance, never really changes, but rather adds functionality and features with each new version. Microsoft Word, on the other hand, has changed drastically with each new release. I’ve been complaining about their “change for the sake of change” approach to software development for years now. Things as simple as constantly moving functions around to different drop down menus and changing the user interface have made MS Office products a pain to use. With each new version comes a learning curve that slows down workflow for even the most PC savvy users. How would you like to relearn Illustrator and Photoshop once a year?

WildWestDesigns

If the Microsoft development team were to get turned loose on Adobe software, it would destroy creative software as we know it.

If MS was to buy Adobe, I do believe that they would operate it as a separate entity and not bring it directly under the MS fold. That would just be setting their money on fire by doing that.

They can even get the updates/changes of their flagship software (of what used to be their flagship software), how do they think they'll be able to handle software that they bought and have to get used to the underlying code.

Microsoft Word, on the other hand, has changed drastically with each new release. I’ve been complaining about their “change for the sake of change” approach to software development for years now. Things as simple as constantly moving functions around to different drop down menus and changing the user interface have made MS Office products a pain to use. With each new version comes a learning curve that slows down workflow for even the most PC savvy users.

Thankfully, I have never had to deal with Word in that manner. I stopped with 2007 Office and never looked back. Now, it's not even available on the platform I use now.

I have had that situation though on much more expensive software. There was a good run of a 2 yr release cycle, but it took about 4 yrs on this last one. Always seemed to change. From simple thing like the UI color to the more complex menu items and the grouping of tools. Sometimes the tool symbols stayed the same, sometimes they changed up. There wasn't really any consistency there.

How would you like to relearn Illustrator and Photoshop once a year?

It wouldn't be that often. After all, as rolling of a release as CC is, they do still allow customers x-1 on versions. That'll give you an extra year to get comfortable (unless MS changes how many versions back one can be on, which is possible).

Category5

It wouldn't be that often. After all, as rolling of a release as CC is, they do still allow customers x-1 on versions. That'll give you an extra year to get comfortable (unless MS changes how many versions back one can be on, which is possible).[/
In recent years, Microsoft doesn’t exactly have a reputation for letting you keep versions/builds that are old and proven.

WildWestDesigns

In recent years, Microsoft doesn’t exactly have a reputation for letting you keep versions/builds that are old and proven.

To be fair, what closed source software vendor has? All are jumping on that SaaS bandwagon. Some do a better job then others, some are more rolling release then others (which I would consider Adobe to be as well since they are forcing customers no older then x-1).

And this subscription craze is sneaking into plugins as well (saw Astute Graphics announcement awhile back and I do like their plugins, I really do for Ai CS6 (which is the last version of their plugins that I have)).