• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ioline Studio 8 Problems

v31dog

hello its Dean

ok i have a ioline studio 8 and i cant figure out how to make it communicate with the computer, i have tried everything and i cant figure out how to do it!!!

i brought three different leads and it still doesnt work, i can do a test cut from the plotter and that is fine

i am using flexisign software and a 25pin serial lead from the computer to the plotter

does anyone else know or can anyone else help me!

thanks

FrankW

Where have you plugged in the serial cable on computer side? Computers have no 25-Pin serial ports anymore since around 15 years, and often if users have 25-pin serial cables they plug it into the parallel port (what won't work of course).

v31dog

Ok thank you I will purchase and let you know, I got told that the plotters themselves have the drivers already on them, if the cable is success should it be straight forward to work with flexisign?

round man

A. this model does not have a driver installed onboard the plotter,you'll need one that runs from within your cutting software ( flexi has a driver)on the computer.

B. that model requires a null modem serial cable(one that is rs 232 compliant).

C. there is a program downloadable from ioline's support site ( http://www.ioline.com/support/studio_s.html this link also has manuals and all the other user guides neede to operate it)to diagnose and configure the plotter from the host computer the plotter is attached to,...it is a 16 bit program(control center is the title of the download( try this link for the pc version http://www.ioline.com/support/generic/dl_cc16bit_v460.html ) and there may be issues with more recent operating systems such as win 7 (32 bit ) and even more issues trying to run it from a 64 bit operating system.this is not to imply the plotter won't function on those operating systems,..just the control center program to change the setup,...you may very well have to run it in compatibility mode

v31dog

Thanks for these replies, there really appreciated honestly

Ok so I will purchase a new cable, it's probably better to have a cable than adapters for a better straight through connection

I will reply in couple of days and let you all know

Had this machine for couple of months and this is only forum willing to help so thanks

v31dog

So I have received my Cable installed the control centre software and still no response it keeps saying turn plotter on make sure green light is on but it is :/ I've changed com port to 4 and changed it to hardware for flow control..... Any more help?

round man

1st you dont specify what type of cable you are using and or if it is an adapter to usb to serial,etc...
2nd if you are using a usb to serial port adapter you may have to go to device manager and see which port windows assigned to the adapter.and or what ports are actually availble on your system(most pc's only use 2 com ports)
3rd if you are using a serial to usb adapter and both it and the serial cable are rs 232 compliant they will cancel each other out as the pin swap in both cables will act as if the pin swap didn't happen(one cale swaps the pin and then the other swaps it back) thus the plotter will not handshake with the host computer

Tim lazurka

Owner/operator sign and striping business
So I have received my Cable installed the control centre software and still no response it keeps saying turn plotter on make sure green light is on but it is :/ I've changed com port to 4 and changed it to hardware for flow control..... Any more help?
Hi I know this post is 20 years old did you ever figure it out I’m having same issue. Tim

Attila Nagy

A. this model does not have a driver installed onboard the plotter,you'll need one that runs from within your cutting software ( flexi has a driver)on the computer.

B. that model requires a null modem serial cable(one that is rs 232 compliant).

C. there is a program downloadable from ioline's support site ( http://www.ioline.com/support/studio_s.html this link also has manuals and all the other user guides neede to operate it)to diagnose and configure the plotter from the host computer the plotter is attached to,...it is a 16 bit program(control center is the title of the download( try this link for the pc version http://www.ioline.com/support/generic/dl_cc16bit_v460.html ) and there may be issues with more recent operating systems such as win 7 (32 bit ) and even more issues trying to run it from a 64 bit operating system.this is not to imply the plotter won't function on those operating systems,..just the control center program to change the setup,...you may very well have to run it in compatibility mode
"B" He has flexi

chester215

Just call me Chester.
We have an old ioline plotter that is still plugging along.
Did a quick search and came up with:
One thing I do remember is that we are using a cutting profile for a different ioline plotter and it works.

Tim lazurka

Hi I know this post is 20 years old did you ever figure it out I’m having same issue. Tim
"B" He has flexi
Thank you for the information I’ll try to track down a 9-25 pin null cable. I’m also using flexi and the driver is there. My other plotter is an old GCC Signpal i’ve had since 1997. It’s running just a regular serial cable. I’ve tried to use it on the Ioline , but no go so I will get a null cable. My plotter is actually a Super 88 but it still applies I believe. Appreciate the help.

Tim lazurka

We have an old ioline plotter that is still plugging along.
Did a quick search and came up with:
One thing I do remember is that we are using a cutting profile for a different ioline plotter and it works.
That’s the plotter I have. Are you using a 9-25 pin null cable and what profile you using?

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Using a 25 pin cable.
Not sure if it would work but they do make a USB to 25 pin connector to easily add a LPT port.
I am not a plotter tech, but I would try whatever drivers are available.
You will know it is the correct one when it cuts correctly.

Attila Nagy

Using a 25 pin cable.
Not sure if it would work but they do make a USB to 25 pin connector to easily add a LPT port.
I am not a plotter tech, but I would try whatever drivers are available.
You will know it is the correct one when it cuts correctly.
Flexi does not need driver. It Supports inline cutters and sends the commands directly to the port.