• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IOM for wall mural?

lbpalm

I have a question about wall mural material selection:

- I've been using IOM with mixed results in terms of hard surface adhesion.
It has been OK in some circumstances, not OK in others.

Certainly IOM's price is right - a bit of experimentation is not a problem with their media and this is not at all intended as a criticism of the product.

So, my question is - Has anyone tried IOM for wall mural installation on clean, painted drywall?
My concern would be for corner or edge curling and adhesive dry-out over time.

Height will be 8-9 ft. and length will be 10-12 ft. sections.

I would also be very interested to hear any other recommendations for this type of installation (with matte laminate).

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Last edited:

TDFcustomSL

I have a question about wall mural material selection:

- I've been using IOM with mixed results in terms of hard surface adhesion.
It has been OK in some circumstances, not OK in others.

Certainly IOM's price is right - a bit of experimentation is not a problem with their media and this is not at all intended as a criticism of the product.

So, my question is - Has anyone tried IOM for wall mural installation on clean, painted drywall?
My concern would be for corner or edge curling and adhesive dry-out over time.

Height will be 8-9 ft. and length will be 10-12 ft. sections.

I would also be very interested to hear any recommendations for this type of installation (with matte laminate).

Thanks in advance for any replies!
I used it once for a 3x5 printed logo...not really a full wall mural. About 3 months later i was re doing it with another material. I used to use IOM a lot but last year it bit me in the @$$ and cost me a couple grand in re do's...on race cars. Haven't ordered anything from them since. Yes, their pricing is great....and with such great success with their materials for about 3 years straight, I thought it was the best thing on earth, but after last year, that was it for me. I would much rather spend a little more on a different product than be stuck fixing issues with their product. 30 bucks saved here could result in a few hundred dollars wasted by fixing it.

lbpalm

I used it once for a 3x5 printed logo...not really a full wall mural. About 3 months later i was re doing it with another material. I used to use IOM a lot but last year it bit me in the @$$ and cost me a couple grand in re do's...on race cars. Haven't ordered anything from them since. Yes, their pricing is great....and with such great success with their materials for about 3 years straight, I thought it was the best thing on earth, but after last year, that was it for me. I would much rather spend a little more on a different product than be stuck fixing issues with their product. 30 bucks saved here could result in a few hundred dollars wasted by fixing it.

Roger that & thanks for your reply.
I think something is going on with their adhesive specification.
I also have had more than a few media buckling issues with IOM.
((also ditto experience on race car applications))
Nice guys though.
Thanks again for replying!

- Do you have a material you like for walls?
Thx..

Last edited:

TDFcustomSL

Roger that & thanks for your reply.
I think something is going on with their adhesive specification.
I also have had more than a few media buckling issues with IOM.
((also ditto experience on race car applications))
Nice guys though.
Thanks again for replying!

- Do you have a material you like for walls?
Thx..
I have had good luck with Arlon DPF4500LX recently. And yes, the guys from IOM are great people. I am thinking they changed their supplier because my last large order with them i had 2 different types of air release channels. Both of these styles were also different than the media I had been using from them. One style worked extremely well and stuck great, but out of probably 7 rolls only 1 had that style. I don't know if tha'ts what they switched to or what and I could never get a straight answer out of them on what they would be using. Of course they didn't admit to switching suppliers and blamed the different types of air release on their manufacturer. Through some research I am pretty sure I found the manufacturer in china that one of the rolls came from. Just too many variables from them for me to keep using them unfortunately since they were great to deal with.

lbpalm

I have had good luck with Arlon DPF4500LX recently. And yes, the guys from IOM are great people. I am thinking they changed their supplier because my last large order with them i had 2 different types of air release channels. Both of these styles were also different than the media I had been using from them. One style worked extremely well and stuck great, but out of probably 7 rolls only 1 had that style. I don't know if tha'ts what they switched to or what and I could never get a straight answer out of them on what they would be using. Of course they didn't admit to switching suppliers and blamed the different types of air release on their manufacturer. Through some research I am pretty sure I found the manufacturer in china that one of the rolls came from. Just too many variables from them for me to keep using them unfortunately since they were great to deal with.

Yes, I too noticed the air release pattern differences in different orders.
I'll check out DPF4500LX
Thanks.

lbpalm

I am going to try this:
Arlon DPF 8000 3.5 Mil 7yr | FELLERS

Based on your recommendation to look at Arlon, DPF 8000 looks like the right stuff.

I have made this decision based on DPF 8000's aggressive adhesive since this will be a large full-wall marketing piece on an interior automotive garage.

Being an interior wall, the plan would be to leave the DPF 8000 in place when the advert gets changed out over time. - Without removing the original vinyl since such removal would damage the wallboard.

With a stable base installation in place (DPF 8000), my expectation would be to use something like your DPF4500LX recommendation on subsequent installations when the advertising changes (again, full wall).

Thanks again!

Last edited:

lbpalm

Cool....
Thanks very much!!

Do you think ambient room temp will make a sig. difference?
- Chances are the room will be cool to cold.
Thanks again buddy.