• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Irregular Cutting D140

Goatshaver

Came back after a couple of days laminated a few sheets and started cutting with the barcode like I normally do and my cutting was way off. Seemed to be about 1/16" off in some places, near the center of the sheet. The outer two edges were fine. I noticed as the moved to the cuts near the middle of the sheet they became more off. This happened to a couple sheets, and it was spitting out the sheets when it went to look for the next opos mark or it would spit them out during loading. I did a factory reset, calibrated my opos and tried another cut and got the same result, actually it was even worse. One sheet came out fine, then the next would be way off.

Never had this happen before so I'm not really sure whats going on. If something went haywire in my cutter or there is something else going on.

I attached a couple photos of one 8.38" sheet the difference between the top and the bottom of it and how off the cuts are.

Attachments

• 20210926_171857.jpg
    20210926_171857.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 234
  • 20210926_171910.jpg
    20210926_171910.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 135

Saturn

Aging Member
I assume those aren't supposed to be perfect circles. In the second image, it's most noticeable on the red border above the word Gypsy?

Are you imposing the stickers yourself or letting the RIP do it? I always triple check my files if I have done the imposing myself, just to make sure I didn't bump the registration between art and cut line.

I feel your pain, these kind of things can really throw a wrench in your day. Factory reset won't probably ever help, but you should always calibrate/set the OPOS mark more than a few times.

Goatshaver

I assume those aren't supposed to be perfect circles. In the second image, it's most noticeable on the red border above the word Gypsy?

Are you imposing the stickers yourself or letting the RIP do it? I always triple check my files if I have done the imposing myself, just to make sure I didn't bump the registration between art and cut line.

I feel your pain, these kind of things can really throw a wrench in your day. Factory reset won't probably ever help, but you should always calibrate/set the OPOS mark more than a few times.
They are supposed to be circles. It happened on another file as well. I impose my sheets in Illustrator and then step them out in Onyx.
Occasionally I've had some cuts that were off but not like this.

The odd thing is the on the outer edges of the 54" sheet the cuts are good. Even borders all around as it moves towards the center of the sheet it goes off like this. It's very bizzare.

Saturn

Aging Member
How's the blade tip? Still sharp and un chipped? I assume you have at least 1-2 middle pinch rollers on 54" inches, you might get down and watch the material as it cuts to see if it's all staying flat or if it's sort of moving around a little from the push and pull of the blade in the center of the sheet, that would explain why the edges are fairly good but it's off in the middle.

For better or worse, I do find any issues with setting show themselves more readily on simple shapes like circles and rectangles vs squiggly stuff. Looks like these are just kiss cut, which make it more frustrating since that should be less prone to issues than cutting all the way through.

Frustrating trying to solve this stuff when you have jobs that need to be run. I'm rooting for an easy fix Goatshaver.

Goatshaver

How's the blade tip? Still sharp and un chipped? I assume you have at least 1-2 middle pinch rollers on 54" inches, you might get down and watch the material as it cuts to see if it's all staying flat or if it's sort of moving around a little from the push and pull of the blade in the center of the sheet, that would explain why the edges are fairly good but it's off in the middle.

For better or worse, I do find any issues with setting show themselves more readily on simple shapes like circles and rectangles vs squiggly stuff. Looks like these are just kiss cut, which make it more frustrating since that should be less prone to issues than cutting all the way through.

Frustrating trying to solve this stuff when you have jobs that need to be run. I'm rooting for an easy fix Goatshaver.
Yeah I always use every wheel on 54" stuff. Blade is pretty new, been using it for a couple weeks without any issues.

I reprinted what was bad and laminated them today. Just for the heck of it I took some iso and alcohol and wiped the opos sensor. I tried a sheet and it worked fine, second and third were good as well.
Initially I thought it might be because I had a hard time laminating and when it was scanning the registration marks, that somehow it got thrown off. I'm not sure if that could be a possibility or not.

Goatshaver

The issue went away for a little bit and now it's back to doing the same thing again. Near the origin the cuts are good but as it moves up the sheet the cuts get way off as the photos show. I just have no idea what is causing this.

It's very strange, it'll work fine for a bit then it'll start cutting everything way off. I re-calibrated opos, slowed it down to 300mm/s (I never run it above 400mm/s with laminated material). I feel like it has something to do with the mark or the sensor...I just can't seem to figure out why it's so erratic. Before this I cut about 1k die cut stickers without any issues at all, so I'm really scratching my head on this.

Note: I've also tried changing the registration mark size slightly, putting more of them on the sheet thinking I'd get better alignment.

Attachments

• 20211008_204321.jpg
    20211008_204321.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
  • 20211008_204327.jpg
    20211008_204327.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
Last edited: