• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is a HP 26500 Latex Printer the same as other Latex Printers?

So I am well versed on the 365, I am on my second one with about seven years experience.
I am looking at used machines, just something for doing personal jobs at home.
I see ads on Marketplace for HP 26500 Latex Printers and they are really cheap compared to even the 100 series Lates Printers, they appear to be older models with a DesignJet tag on them.
Can anyone give me the low down on these machines, are they worth the effort?

ABA Visibility Products

Premium Subscriber
The L26500 uses the 2nd generation of latex ink. I believe you're on to 3rd party for supplies for these machines as the 3rd generation has been out for quite some time.

FrankW

This machine was named Designjet L26500 when released, was later renamed Latex 260.

It is second generation, and I would not invest in such a machine. The differences between second and third generation was huge.

iklaster

So I am well versed on the 365, I am on my second one with about seven years experience.
I see ads on Marketplace for HP 26500 Latex Printers and they are really cheap compared to even the 100 series Lates Printers, they appear to be older models with a DesignJet tag on them.
I perssonaly recommend you blutooth thermal printer for you daily work. MUNBYN thermal printer are available at low price with good quality.

ikarasu

Around here they try to give the 26500 away for free. You cant buy heads.... Just Chinese ones, and they're garbage. The ink isn't as bad as the heads, but again you have to get aftermarket.

Other parts are just as scarce... So when it breaks down you end up being screwed.

I'd stay away, get a 110/115, or something like that if you want a slow, cheap unit.

There are lots of 560s for sale for 5-6k, some.370s... even a 570 for 7k I believe in the classifieds of s101... All with free shipping.

It could be a good deal if you know what you are getting yourself into. 3. party ink is no problem, there are DYI kits for the cleaning cassettes. Regarding printheads, you just buy them for the newer 3. Generations and swap out the chips. I have owned 2. Generation from the beginning and 3. generation for a couple of years and I don’t find the jump from 2. To 3. generation that significant on the contrary 2. Generation prints much better on paper media!

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Eh? OP wants a large format printer so he can print stuff at home... Likely as a side business.

What would a thermal printer that can print 6" do for him when he wants to print a poster or a banner?
ignore it. It's SEO backlink spam.

george paris

I have a L260 that needs a new heat unit $2700! Not worth the money to fix it, in my opinion. I would push it out on the sidewalk in hopes that some junk collector would snag if it wasn't so heavy. I think it's terrible that the HP just discontinues supporting a machine after a relatively short period.