• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is everybody this careless?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Wow...I can't even begin to count the number of small business I've patronized where they've conducted "back office" activities at the receptionist desk. I've seen confidential scribblings, checks laying within sight (and reach), and other sensitive information that should be kept behind closed (and perhaps, locked) doors. The big kicker is when the office person has to leave the room to inquire about something...leaving all that stuff fully at risk.

And if that isn't enough, then there's the telephone calls with confidential information freely broadcast to those of us within earshot. Just yesterday, I could have made off with two credit card numbers because the receptionist was taking orders over the phone and had to read back the numbers...the expiration date...and the security code.

Some of these places are ripe for the picking by savvy malefactors (or competitors) and these businesses don't even know it.

If you're included in this bunch, tighten up and quit doing this crap.

JB

GWSigns

It is for instances such as those that I have a "diversion" board filled with quips & qoutes along with photos for people to puruse as they are beside my work area.
I had one boss who told me they did not like all the personal clutter by my desk until I explained to them the purpose of it.

I also flip all paperwork over and return phone calls when no one but shop staff could "listen in".

I know exactly of which you speak, and have encountred the same circumstances in too many places - including the doctor's office.