• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is my 560 just getting old?

JBurton

Signtologist
Lately my 560 squeaks when returning from left to right. I've lubed the carriage rail several times, and it temporarily quiets down, but I just oiled it at noon today and it's already squeaking again. It's old age wise, but has relatively low mileage on it. When does the printer start complaining about needing SMK3? (And do I want to do that myself or pay a tech?)

cornholio

The SMK's have a percentage. When they reach 100, the printer complains, but can still be used.
If the squeaking is your only problem, just replace the oiler felts. (I can do it in 10 minutes on the lower rail, for the ones on the upper rail, it takes longer and is mostly only done during the SMK3)

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Check the status from the webserver, front page, down low small + button and you will see all the details.
If it's getting close I recommend to do the trailing cable (and belt if any damage) while at it.
Should serve you for another 100 000ft2. Pretty usual to get 500 000ft2 out of them and then replace the whole unit.

Last edited:

JBurton

Signtologist
That's good to hear, currently SMK1 is at 24%, SMK3 at 86%, square footage of only 66K, but all of that runs at 20 passes so more akin to 120k as far as carriage movement I reckon.
Is the smk3 something you guys recommend a tech do? I'm fairly tech savvy, but I prefer to have someone to complain about if things don't go as expected.
Also, anybody have the part number for the oiler felts? Should I be adding oil to these while lubing the rail? I recall being told to add some oil to these, but the manual and instructions on screen don't indicate anything of the sort, so I figured it was on my old printer.
Also, there's a top rail? How did I forget that. The squeak obviously comes from the lower rail, as it goes away with oil, but I'm guessing the upper rail is out of the 'dirty zone' and doesn't require lubrication?

That's good to hear, currently SMK1 is at 24%, SMK3 at 86%, square footage of only 66K, but all of that runs at 20 passes so more akin to 120k as far as carriage movement I reckon.
Is the smk3 something you guys recommend a tech do? I'm fairly tech savvy, but I prefer to have someone to complain about if things don't go as expected.
Also, anybody have the part number for the oiler felts? Should I be adding oil to these while lubing the rail? I recall being told to add some oil to these, but the manual and instructions on screen don't indicate anything of the sort, so I figured it was on my old printer.
Also, there's a top rail? How did I forget that. The squeak obviously comes from the lower rail, as it goes away with oil, but I'm guessing the upper rail is out of the 'dirty zone' and doesn't require lubrication?
There is an upper rail - it is smaller diameter than the lower rail, and is located above the backplane.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I would get the tech to do it unless you want to spend two days on it. It's not impossible but when you get the heater on the table you wish someone else was doing the 100 screws and dirty work.

JBurton

Signtologist
but when you get the heater on the table you wish someone else was doing the 100 screws and dirty work.
This is exactly the tedium I was wondering about. I'd get stopped 50 times, turning it into the better part of a week to finish. I'd also miss a screw, notice it within a step or two, then neglect it until 15 steps later when it's purpose rears its ugly head...
Buy a new printer burton, you sure that's not you squeaking?
new phone, who dis?