• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is newer Roland TrueVis VG-540 inferior to older model XC-540?

Bryce I

I'm Brie
About 2 years ago i was hired and the company bought a truevis vg-540 to replace the soljet xc-540 as our primary machine. The soljet is about ten years old and has issues now, but the way the boss tells it, this machine has been incredibly reliable and easy to use getting great results with minimum effort. He uses one profile for every media type, does a calibration test every couple months, and a head cleaning maybe once a week. That has not been my experience. I have another thread in the help section detailing the main issues, mostly color specific banding that calibration/cleaning doesnt fix, but my question here is: Is the newer Truevis printer just inferior to the older ones? It was almost half the price as the old one, is that just due to tech becoming cheaper, or are they not making them like they used to? has anyone here bought a newer model and not liked it as much as the old ones? I love a lot of the features on the new printer, but it is not working like it should be.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Printer pricing has plummeted since the release of the XC540. Also, the XC540 had a max resolution of 1440 x 1440 whereas the TruVis only has 900x900. So objectively, if you are printing on the highest resolution all the time, the TruVis is a step backwards. That being said, technically the head in your TruVis should last about 5 times longer than the ones in the XC540.

Bryce I

I'm Brie
Printer pricing has plummeted since the release of the XC540. Also, the XC540 had a max resolution of 1440 x 1440 whereas the TruVis only has 900x900. So objectively, if you are printing on the highest resolution all the time, the TruVis is a step backwards. That being said, technically the head in your TruVis should last about 5 times longer than the ones in the XC540.
Thanks for the info. Our default profile for printing vehickle wraps is generic vinyl 2. it's at 900x900. we recently tried downloading the profile specific to the print media we use for wraps. It's resolution is 900x600. You can tell that they're different but I can't tell which one is "better." wjhat dom you think?

LarryB

I've had an XC-540 for 13 years and ran it daily. I bought a TruVis VG2 and love it. It has the orange ink cartridge and the colors really pop. I've had it a couple months now without any issues and all the little issues I had with the XC-540 are solved with this printer.

Bryce I

I'm Brie
Thanks y'all for responding. Pooling the opinions from this thread we have:
1- True\Vis is trash.
2- Truevis is not as good a printer, but has features superior to the old ones.
3- Truevis is great.
I'm experiencing all three. The printing itself has been problematic, but features like the TU2 setting are awesome. I can leave a Print + Cut job attached to the takeup reel at the end of the day and it will still be busting out thousands of product labels when i come in the next morning. Also the way the machine holds the media roll from the sides prevents the media from walking over to one side while printing.I don't have the one with the orange ink but that sounds cool too. At then end of the day, cool features that make things easier don't make up for inconsitent printing. Anybody else have thoughts to add? With the experience you have now, would you buy a Truevis or something else? The place i work is so busy, printing everything from fine print small labels, to massive full vehicle delivery truck wraps and everyhting in between. I like a lot of things about this machine, but I'm not sure it's the right one for our needs...