• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there a heat resistant vinyl?

SignDesignLady

Always Learning
I had a customer walk into my shop last week asking about a digital print vinyl that can withstand being applied to a powder coated surface, then have a clear powder coat layer baked on top of it without melting, temps of 400+ degrees. He insisted that he has been told that this product exists but he could not provide the name of this product or any other specifics. I've called 3 of my vinyl suppliers and they researched this and indicated to me that nothing exists to withstand that temperature. Do any of you know of such a product?

Joe House

I think most heat resistant labels are polyester based, but I don't know if they would take that heat. Gerber makes a polyester material for the Edge that might work.

Good Luck

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I find that REALLY hard to believe. Watching to see if anyone knows about something I don't.

Jester

Slow is Fast
There are decals (decalcomania?) which are put on automobile brake calipers after they've been repainted. These have to withstand high heat. I've not used them, nor do I know what they are made of or at what temperature they begin to discolor.

VizualVoice

Not sure if this film is for digital printing or not but might be a good film to look into, its called Thermogard
this is the only relevant thing I found using that term. Sounds like interesting technology but also sounds like not something we could run through any printer anyone here has

SlikGRFX

I assume you mean 400F?
We regularly supply decals to a local powder coating company here. The decals are used on brake calipers for cars.
They powder coat the brakes, apply the decals, then apply the clear powder and bake them again to seal the decal in. Their oven temps are between 350F and 400F (175 to 200C).

We use regular polymeric vinyl and haven't had any complaints.
The decals we supply are contour cut logos, but I don't see why it would be any different if they had a print on them.

Why not send them a sample and ask them to run a test?

Last edited:

VizualVoice

I assume you mean 400F?
We regularly supply decals to a local powder coating company here. The decals are used on brake calipers for cars.
They powder coat the brakes, apply the decals, then apply the clear powder and bake them again to seal the decal in. Their oven temps are between 350F and 400F (175 to 200C).

We use regular polymeric vinyl and haven't had any complaints.
The decals we supply are contour cut logos, but I don't see why it would be any different if they had a print on them.

Why not send them a sample and ask them to run a test?
ok that's cool to know about