• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Is this considered grainy?

Jharris81

dfd346fce87c45e53096ccab444af416.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myront

CorelDRAW is best
If the colors in the file are, in fact, solid tones of grey, then yes, that's extremely grainy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There is one consistent grey which looks fine. I'd say it's your file or method of creating it.

Jharris81

So this is CMYK grey. I have a whole other thread about getting to the point of getting this grey. When I run just K for my grays they start getting brown when they get to medium grey.

Jharris81

There is one consistent grey which looks fine. I'd say it's your file or method of creating it.

This is a vector file created in illustrator. This CMYK grey that I had to adjust to get them to not have a green or brown tone. Then exported as an eps and imported into VW

Jharris81

You might check your head alignments. They can get out of whack over time.

I did have a tech come out about 6 months ago and replace a head and I know he adjusted a bunch of stuff but didn’t want to dive into adjusting those until I asked the internet on their thoughts. [emoji16]

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
It's grainy when enlarged as it is posted here but at actual life size it's not at all so prominent.

What's the realistic viewing distance?

Jharris81

So this is why I was asking because at arms length it basically disappears. It is a wrap on a truck and the customer say the mock-up and mentioned the graininess but he is holding it in his hands a foot away from his face. I’m fairly new to printing and didn’t know if this is how it is for a XC-540 machine or if I have a issue with something.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
For an XC-540 that's about a standard print in my opinion. You might be able to improve it with alignments or you could try a new profile that is higher resolution and slower motor speed but at the end of the day, that machine is pretty old. It's about 4 head generations back so if you're comparing to more current machines, it's never going to look as good.

Jharris81

For an XC-540 that's about a standard print in my opinion. You might be able to improve it with alignments or you could try a new profile that is higher resolution and slower motor speed but at the end of the day, that machine is pretty old. It's about 4 head generations back so if you're comparing to more current machines, it's never going to look as good.

There is always something better, but I just was wondering about how this printer performs. If this is what this printer is capable of, then I’m ok with that. I appreciate all the insight.

Jharris81

So I ran the same print in uni-directional and came out A lot cleaner. Would this indicate I need a bi-directional calibration?
45b17adb478888e9530cba185a5e262d.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That just looks like you took it from further away, so you'd see less pixelation. Put the dime on it and put them next to each other exactly the way they came off the printer. That's how ya compare.

Jharris81

Maybe it’s just the picture but I have both in front of me and it is a big difference. Doing a calibration right now so we will see if it helps.

GC Decor

Super Printer
If your going for solid Grey's than this is no good and I would be finding option B for now. You should upload a Jpeg of the design so we can compare both. I would 100% recommend a Tec visit & get everything back in order.
There's no reason for the Fuzziness.

Saturn

Aging Member
Bi-directional alignment could help a lot, but it also looks to me like there might be a lot of missing or deflected nozzles in general?