• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

isolating GE (gloss enhancer) on the z series printers

artbot

i'm doing some final deliberations on which giclee printer to get the Z3200 or the ipf8300. one thing i like about the HP is it gloss enhancer ink. i use clear solvent ink (home brew) for effects in my metal pieces on my mimaki. can the clear gloss enhancer ink in the z series be isolated to print alone? (...maybe there's some kind of trick mechanically or the rip?)

thanks in advance.

aa

LenR

Z3200

I just recently got the PS version. I'm using the HPPU to drive it and I haven't seen anywhere that you can specify GE only. I have Wasatch for my Mimaki but it's v6.2 (no z3200) and I'm trying not to upgrade. For my purposes HPPU is fine.
If your rip supports the Z see if you can specify just one channel.
It might be possible to talk to HP and see what they say.
Good luck.

artbot

yeah. looks like its a call, the reseller wasn't sure how. also, (to change the subject) on the straight paper feed. does the printer have a straight path similar to a mimaki/epson etc? i read the maximum thickness was .8mm pretty low for a max'. are they being slim or generous with this height spec? many printers can handle much thicker material than stated in the spec sheets.

bbeens

Not much of a straight path for the media. I haven't looked at our z3200 in a while. I will double check tomorrow when I get in the office and let you know. As for the gloss enhancer, if you just want to print gloss and not any other channel I think Wasatch would work for you.

Bryan

artbot

thanks... i'm having the "new printer" heebeegeebees... seems no matter what printer i choose, two weeks later, i'm thinking..."should have got..." i'm about to just go with the canon for the stupid/crazy speed. i've got the mimaki that is converted to a flatbed at this point. but not that good for fine art repro'.

LenR

Z3200

I feel for you.
I got the printer for what I thought was a really good price and am really happy with it. The idea of cheap, user replaceable heads got my attention.
While it's not a speed demon there are things about it that are really great.
Configuring and profiling new media is refreshingly fast and easy.
Print quality is stunning, even with the built in presets for fine art paper and canvas. I did a sign (90"x36") on SA vinyl at the "normal" setting and it took about 20-30 minutes to print which was fine considering what it is.
I miss having a take-up.
I'm loving it though.

artbot

currently the ipf8300's are $3300 at the lowest (but come with a ton of ink) and the
z3200's $2500. no matter how i look at it, both have epson beat. i'm really looking forward to getting away from piezo. also, that replaceable head is great. the canon's new price on replaceable heads are $900 for the pair. still pretty steep. actually very steep for a consumable.

also, i'm hoping that american inkjet systems jumps on the new equipment trend and develops a symphony 12 ink set for both machines. all of us HP and Canon owners should start writing the company and asking them when will a true 12 color inkset be available for these pritners.

can someone with a z3200 take a snap shot of the feed to show if there's daylight coming through the print path? or something modifiable. i've already considered which ever printer i get, i'll probably bastardize the poor thing, chopping holes and running auxiliary lines through it. i am just nervously look at the "add to cart" buttons for each printer and pretty much split.