• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Issue with either Roland VG2 or Versawork 6.11

Patrice Brunelle

Hi all, I need some help, and I'm quite desperate...

We decided to change our old SP-540 for a Roland VG2. Last Thursday a tech from Roland came to install the new printer and updated our Versawork to 6.11.
We now have our 7 years old XR-640 and the brand new VG2-540 and we've been having issues. Versawork 6.11 is extremely slow, once a job is ripped and we hit print, it takes from 30 minutes to 2 hours before the print actually starts (does that with both printers). It just stays idle with the status at ''Ready to print'' and eventually, after a long long time, it starts. I've contacted our Roland tech through customer service (took 3 days for him to call back, nice service Roland*) and he says that he set up everything correctly and the issue lies with our network. So I asked our IT who got pissed and he brought up the very good argument that the network had no issues before we got the VG2 and Versawork 6.11.

So now I'm stuck between two tech blaming each other while my production speed is suffering a terrible drop right after a 25k investment. I'm so very *insert curse word here* happy.
I've googled the issue but found nothing related, you guys are my last resort. Anyone ever encountered this issue after a new printer install and/or a Versawork update?

Thanks in advance.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
What does Versaworks show it's doing during the wait time? Maybe upgrading to the new version turned the "RIP while printing" option off?

Patrice Brunelle

What does Versaworks show it's doing during the wait time? Maybe upgrading to the new version turned the "RIP while printing" option off?
It shows nothing, just stays idle after hitting print. We don't do Rip while printing here, my boss just prints, so it rips then print automatically one after the other, but it stalls between, for a long time. For me, I pre-rip many files so I can send one after the other back to back, but when I'm ready to print, the printers takes forever to actually start printing.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'd do two things.

1. Connect the computer to the printer directly and send a job. This will tell you if maybe the router is failing. If it starts to work properly you will know the router is probably the cause. If it does the exact same thing, then you can rule out the router.

2. Open the Windows resource monitor and then send a job. Look to see if any resources are being maxed out. Or maybe the network is only running at 10mb or something like that.

Patrice Brunelle

I'd do two things.

1. Connect the computer to the printer directly and send a job. This will tell you if maybe the router is failing. If it starts to work properly you will know the router is probably the cause. If it does the exact same thing, then you can rule out the router.

2. Open the Windows resource monitor and then send a job. Look to see if any resources are being maxed out. Or maybe the network is only running at 10mb or something like that.
I've already tried option 2 right away. The values are good. I've talked with the IT guy (he doesn't want anyone else to play around with anything regarding his network and the PCs) and he'll try option 1, not much else to too. At least if we prove it's not the router fault, I can tell that to the tech from Roland and maybe he'll do something then.

Thank you for your reply!

victor bogdanov

Plug the printer directly into the computer would be the first thing I try. No It guy needed and takes 30 seconds to do.

Second thing I would try is reinstalling versa works if the first option doesn't help

Third thing I would do is try a different computer.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
To me it also sounds like a network issue, maybe the network cord is chewy and isn't sending a good enough signal. But a direct connect to the printer with a good ethernet cord would be my first suggestion too.