• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help issue with Mimaki wide format printer printing on mesh

RavenRyza

Hello everyone, im an apprentice and still have a lot to learn about wide format. And i was hoping any of you in here might know what is going on here, because we havent been able to solve it.

This is about a UJV55 mimaki wide format printer
Recently in the production we’ve been having an issue when we print certain colors on mesh vinyl banner. Where it creates “lines” of different colors in an area that should only be one solid color. ill add pictures below. an example is a dark blue color that will have dark purple-ish lines throughout it.
I dont have any earlier prints from when we first got the printer, but as far as i remember this was not always an issue for the printer to do. And it is the same media as back then as well.

Ive tried a few things to try and solve/troubleshoot it

Nozzle tests are fine, feed bars are fine too.
Printed on vinyl to see if the same issue was present: it was at first, but i did a drop correction and lowered the printhead and it seemed to fix it? i will do more tests

attempted: drop correction on mesh, basically impossible to do by eye because of the surface of the mesh interfering with visibility.
Print head hight, the printer only has 4 settings for the printheads, and unfortunately if i put it down a notch lower than the one we usually use, it will occasionally scrape against the media, as the media will buckle ever so slightly in the middle (it is 3 meter wide rolls of mesh)
Ive tried using uni direction instead of bi direction during printing, didnt solve it either.

Do any of you have a idea of what could be the matter here? is it a defect in the media, can vinyl mesh become too old to print on effectively? or a defect in the printer?

Attachments

• BA866A2D-92E3-4B2F-A616-B40CA43F1B8E.jpeg
    BA866A2D-92E3-4B2F-A616-B40CA43F1B8E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 237
  • 4870BAB7-7EAE-4540-90D8-C84967953735.jpeg
    4870BAB7-7EAE-4540-90D8-C84967953735.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 158
  • 6C786092-4762-4ECD-BA26-0B9E3F142EBC.jpeg
    6C786092-4762-4ECD-BA26-0B9E3F142EBC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 138

hbb2008

Premium Subscriber
Im no expert in this area of printing on vinyl or banner material but it looks like a wave across your media from the amount/darkness of ink being printed. in lighter colors maybe it isn't noticeable.
I have similar issues when printing very dark blues or grays on my paper media with my mimaki JV33. the waves in the media cause different surface levels which lead to areas with the color you want and areas with a color you do not want.

try different pre heat settings and see if it helps?