• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Issues Printing Gradients from InDesign with Onyx on Arizona 360GT

wiplash859

I am having issues with a file that was created in InDesign and exported as a PDF 1.4 (see attached pics). The background is a blue gradient that fades from dark to light blue. The gradient was generated in InDesign. No matter how I save the file I am getting the same hard line in the gradient (ie PDF, TIFF, Photoshop PDF). We are using a profile that we created in Onyx using an i1 for printing on aluminum. The issue goes away when we use a different profile. The trouble is that all of our proofing and client approvals are based on the profile that is giving us poor results. My question is, what aspect of the profile could be causing the gradient to print so poorly? Onyx support suggested switching our QuickSet to force 16bit processing but this did not seem to have any effect. I have tried 3 different ways of creating this same gradient color combination (standard gradient, a light blue gradient with a feather on top of the dark blue, and a light blue that feathers to a dark blue on top of the dark blue) all with the same results. The shift happens in the same color range on all three versions. I have read somewhere that I may need to re-linearize the profile? Can anyone explain this process and why/if it would work? Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1466 2.JPG
    IMG_1466 2.JPG
    811.3 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_0360 2.JPG
    IMG_0360 2.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 420

Bly

Re linearise by selecting the printer in Rip Queue and clicking the recalibrate button at the top.
Then scan the swatch with your spectro.

wiplash859

Ok. Thank you both for the helpful input. Here's where I'm at.

First: I tried relinearizing (aka recalibrating) in Onyx and it worked! After recalibration the hard line was 100% gone and the gradient faded perfectly. Unfortunately the recalibration also shifted the color just enough that it is no longer an acceptable match to our client-approved prints.

Second: (photoshop solution) I had tried saving out of Photoshop as a TIFF before but I had not manually flattened first. I was also saving out as 8bit rather than 16bit. I tried manually flattening and saving as an 16bit TIFF and printing with the original (not relinearized) profile but no luck. While the results are improved, there are still awkward transitions visible in the gradient.

It is clear that the issue is strictly with the original profile. It was created in-house so perhaps there was an error in the input of the color data. So, here's what I'm thinking my options are:

1). Use the newly recalibrated profile but color correct each file (60+) in the RIP to match the previously approved prints
2). Start from scratch with new profile and hope that the colors end up matching the output of the original profile AND hope that it can successfully print the gradient

We'll probably attempt a profile (option 2) this morning. I find profiling in Onyx to be a relatively hit or miss process. We are not experts but have done the training a few times. It is also a profile that uses a white ink which adds another level of complication. Does anybody have any thoughts on how we can bypass reprofiling and get the original profile to behave (print gradients correctly)?

PS. This profile included, I notice that when I analyze the density reading after linearizing I sometimes get the message that "there are significant spikes in the density readings". After re-reading w/ the i1 1-2 more times this message often continues to show. Any thoughts on this? Could this be a sign that the material is not print-friendly?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Print your Onyx Quality Evaluation.pdf both with and without using color management and keep both prints for reference. This will show a visual of the basic printer calibration effect and the ICC output effect. Study the differences closely.

PS. This profile included, I notice that when I analyze the density reading after linearizing I sometimes get the message that "there are significant spikes in the density readings".
Could be the aluminum media. Look at the actual calibration graph to see any spikes. They are adjustable but you, the user. Don't bother to profile if Onyx is already giving warnings.

wiplash859

Rather than continue to work with this profile I decided to begin work on my own. That was an arduous task in itself thanks to one incorrectly ticked box (see here) (and thanks ColorCrest) but I was finally able to generate a new properly linearized profile capable of printing perfect gradients (whether created in Photoshop or InDesign). As a bonus, the new profile produces colors that are a very close to the original proof colors.