• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Issues with MaxMetal recent inconsistent thickness

Elwood Kinder

I cannot be the only one having issues... We are having a huge issue with our latest order of MaxMetal. It seems to have high and low spots "tunnels" in the material. (where it has possibly been in contact with rollers before curing completely?) The "tunnels" go the length of the substrate which makes applying printed graphics with our laminator impossible on full sheets without having SO MANY bubbles, making the signs unacceptable. We have had this issue a few times in the past with Max Metal Lite. I have enclosed photos for reference. We have at least 20 sheets left of the 25 ordered, and all are affected. We have accepted this as being a problem with the Lite product but have purposely switched to the standard MaxMetal to avoid this issue... no luck. We currently have a few sheets of another brand of ACM (NUDO) that we have tested without an issue, confirming that this is not an issue with our laminator. The tunnels are even visible when looking across the edge of the sheet. Anyone else having issues?

Attachments

• IMG_20220315_194256197.jpg
    IMG_20220315_194256197.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 463
  • IMG_20220315_194303213.jpg
    IMG_20220315_194303213.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20220315_194310906.jpg
    IMG_20220315_194310906.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 180

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've noticed that for a while now. I'm surprised QC lets it go out like that.

The quality of things is suffering lately. I've noticed a lot of trash in polycarbonite since the shortages last year.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I've seen that in maxmetal for awhile now too, even pre-covid. Never had issues with mounting on it.
We've been using bebond premium from nglantz. Pricing is a bit better and quality also seems better.

GC Decor

Super Printer
Is it a colored Maxmetal or Maxmetal DP ?? We use a ton of Maxmetal DP on our uv flatbed and we haven’t seen any issues lately.

GC Decor

Super Printer
Looks like its only a few $ difference (Pallet Pricing). What's nice is Grimco keeps a huge stock of it, we ordered a few pallets and they where delivered in a few days. They only offer it in white and silver I think.

edcooleyar

DP has similar issues but since we are printing as opposed to laminating it has not caused as much concern. Used to be glass flat until our most recent order. I hoped it was a batch problem but sounds like a larger issue from this thread.

It’s also runs against the long edge in ours. Perhaps a little more lam pressure would help squeeze out the air.

TopFliteGraphics

Noticed it with the single sided version over a year ago. Stopped ordering it and switched to the MaxMetal Lite. I haven't noticed any issues with that yet.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
We have had the same thing happening here for awhile with applying laminated digital prints to Max Metal White Both Sides. It has waves in the max metal. But I've noticed it in other brands as well....

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Could you use an air-release vinyl when mounting to the remaining defective sheets? I would think a quick pass with a squeegee should get rid of those nasty rashes.

2B

Stopped using MaxMetal because of quality control and lower material quality

changed to ALUCOSON from Reece, better product, and it has better pricing. We are happy with the change

edcooleyar

Yes, you can see the wave very distinctly. We use the DP and even it is wavy. Does not bother us because we UV print it without laminating. I can see how laminating across the grain would create bubble.