• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help jackshaft gear issues

trav092784

hey all

im having issues running my cutter (gs15 plus) back and forth and not sure exactly why. the motor that runs that gear and belt runs fine when detached from jackshaft gear but as soon as i connect the 2 together the motor seems to seize. i can manually move the cutter back and forth without much effort and the gears turn fine when doing this but as soon as i put it all back together the gear siezes. any insight to this problem would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advanced.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Sounds like your motor is bad if I am reading this correctly. When they go bad they lock up when powered up. (If I remember correctly)

trav092784

when powered up the motor spins and works normal but as soon as i reattach to machine and jackshaft gear it seizes and doesnt want to move the gear. if i take it away from gear motor runs...i can manually move (fairly easy) the cutter back and forth and gear seems to spin/work fine

highrolling24

I agree with jfiscus motor sounds shot, bearings are probly wore down that when you put side pressure now rubs on races so lots of friction, does the cutter beep when it doesnt move?

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Sounds like the motor is toast.
As highrolling24 noted when putting a load on the motor you are putting tension on the shift and bearings which will make it seize up.
One way to check this is to put a pair of work gloves on, power motor on and grab with pressure the gear on the motor that the belt rides on, if it seizes up its the motor.
You should be able to slow it down but not stop it.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have also had what you think would be an insignificant spec of crud on a gear lock a motor up. The tolerances on these machines are so tight that something like this can cause it to not perform correctly.

trav092784

thanks for all the info and help...seems like it is the motor as when i grab it i can stop it with my fingers :rolleyes: