• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JFX 200 2513EX & Braille

fresco194

Hello. I have been looking into getting my first flatbed printer and have been leaning towards a JFX 200 2513EX due to owning 2 previouse Mimaki roll printers for the last 20 years so very familiar and comfortable with Mimaki and Raserlink. A big selling point for me is the 2.5D ability and hopefully printing braille. Some Mimaki reps say that it is not suitable for braille. Does anybody know if there is a way to make it work for ADA. I see that the Rasterlink Plugin for Illustrator has a option for braille for flatbed printers.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Why? It has all the capabilities.

I don't have a Mimaki in my shop, but we were told the same about our Vanguard and that is not the case at all
It would take forever.
When i was in one of the UV printing groups (and discovered it's full of desktop uv printers) some would do braille on their mimaki JFX. would run 10 or more prints / pases over the stock using a 3 or 5 pass mode. same as running 10x boards on one of your slowest print modes.

Paradox Group

I believe you but what exactly happens when you try? Sorry for the ignorance but I never owned or ran a flatbed.
I will try to explain, in order to print braille one has to print first a few layers of clear or white (the amount of layers depends on the printhead type) one on top of the other and finally print one layer of color if needed, a true braille printer will print the layers of W or CL back and forth and then print the color in one path whereas most large flatbed do not have this capability.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I will try to explain, in order to print braille one has to print first a few layers of clear or white (the amount of layers depends on the printhead type) one on top of the other and finally print one layer of color if needed, a true braille printer will print the layers of W or CL back and forth and then print the color in one path whereas most large flatbed do not have this capability.
That's not entirely true, most flatbeds have the ability to print more than one layer in a pass depending on it's configuration. We can hit up to 32 layers in "one pass".

I understand the mimaki may be slow, but in reality it may still well be faster than setting raster spheres, and cheaper than Buying a small format DTS or Mutoh.

fresco194

I'm currently running a 30 year old Xenetech engraver and have to place the beads by hand with a braille pen. What could be worst than that?