• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Just a curious question about window perf laminate

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I bought some optically clear laminate for the window perf. The instructions on the sheet say to let it lay flat for 12 hours before applying. Can someone tell me why? and will it mess up if we apply it now rather than wait 12 hours?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We laminate window perf with optically clear quite often - I was never aware that your supposed to lay it flat for 12 hours. If rolled to tightly, it will have a tendency to "finger" this may be why they say to do that. so what I do is loosely roll it graphic side out. My table is valuable real estate - I can't leave things sitting there for 12 hours.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
We laminate window perf with optically clear quite often - I was never aware that your supposed to lay it flat for 12 hours. If rolled to tightly, it will have a tendency to "finger" this may be why they say to do that. so what I do is loosely roll it graphic side out. My table is valuable real estate - I can't leave things sitting there for 12 hours.
I read the spec sheet and it was talking about if you mailed it or rolled it up. Then it said lay out for 12 hours. I just finished a print and laminate and my installers aren't ready to install it on the vehicle yet, so it's ok anyway.
I know what you mean with the table being valuable real estate. We have big shelving units that have some space on them to lay graphics on.

Thanks for the response. I just got confused with the wording on the spec sheet.

Brett Groves

We usually let things outgas before laminating but with perf we outgas flat so that it runs through the laminator correctly. Perf has a tendency to "remember it's shape" more so than vinyl. As such we have had problems with it wanting to track along the roller and run down into the machine. We dont use a take-up reel for the laminated media so this deposits everything on the floor under a table. Not sure if this was relevant to your issue but it is certainly a reason to leave flat.

Eforcer

Curious to why you apply laminate to perf. I have done many orders and not once have I laminated them. I still have lots orders that have been up since 2012. The repeat business of those windows have been very few. Colors have faded, but it's been a long time. The only issues I have is the edges peeling back, which I remedy that when I personally see it, I always have double sided tape and xacto knife and do repairs. Some of those 3 years later. That little bit of always fixing have gotten lots of recommendations.
Is it more for building up revenue?

Brett Groves

Curious to why you apply laminate to perf. I have done many orders and not once have I laminated them. I still have lots orders that have been up since 2012. The repeat business of those windows have been very few. Colors have faded, but it's been a long time. The only issues I have is the edges peeling back, which I remedy that when I personally see it, I always have double sided tape and xacto knife and do repairs. Some of those 3 years later. That little bit of always fixing have gotten lots of recommendations.

Generally to prevent d

We laminate any perf that is going on a vehicle (same reason as above reply) and any that is going to be installed long term and near vehicle traffic. The view-through collects so much sediment over time if it is unlaminated.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller

I have not laminated many of the window perf. I got frustrated because with my printer it seems that and more often than not, the ink doesn't quite dry all the way in some areas causing to smudge when we are applying to the windows of vehicles. (I'm running an HP315 Latex printer and it dries as it is coming out of the printer, but it seems that there is some issues with the smudging on just the window perf). I wanted to try the optically clear so that we can protect the window perf and we don't waste. On the subject of edges peeling back, we generally put an 1/8 inch gap around the window edge and then tape it down with autowrap clear tape.
Now that I used 30 feet in one day on optically clear, that stuff isn't cheap. I'll probably go back to no laminate. And no, no build up of revenue. I just want it to go on cleanly without smudging.

Eforcer

As far as the lam on perf. 98% of my orders go on commercial window property, so it doesn't matter if it rains. But HELL Yeah about the perf of back of vehicles. You can't see &(it!

Thanks all.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
We usually let things outgas before laminating but with perf we outgas flat so that it runs through the laminator correctly. Perf has a tendency to "remember it's shape" more so than vinyl. As such we have had problems with it wanting to track along the roller and run down into the machine. We dont use a take-up reel for the laminated media so this deposits everything on the floor under a table. Not sure if this was relevant to your issue but it is certainly a reason to leave flat.
I have a latex machine. It doesn't outgas. It went through the laminator fine. But damn optically clear is expensive.