• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

just got another one

tintshopplus

still working on the last one but got hit with 2 more. i guess busy is a good problem to have though. maybe once i get that first one out of the way the rest will come a little easier.

anyway here it is. put it together quick as a rough. i would like chrome instead of the gray but haven't figured that out in corel yet. is that available as a texture or something? probably a true noob question. :ROFLMAO: and it seems like no matter what shades of blue i use, they all look the same after exporting from corel. i probably have a setting wrong somewhere.

edited to add that this is a screen printing biz. mostly fulfillment sales.
Thunderfoot_Promo_Logo.jpg

am assuming you are referencing that you have another logo design project when you say 'you got another one' ...

you shouldn't be worrying about colors when initially designing a logo. in fact many of us preach designing in black and white. all the color combinations, color theory, and effects can not save a poorly executed design.

this is a great impovement over the other examples of your design work you have posted. if it has not been suggested you really need to invest in some books and start to study as you are breaking multiple basic rules.

a few actual things i would suggest for this project.
~design in black and white
~change your font choices
~main text is too large imo
~your outlines are not working
~the white horizontal lines on the left and right of the foot and the bottom serve
no purpose and add nothing

tintshopplus

that's why i posted it. thank you. and its good to hear i'm improving. i've got some books ordered from amazon. can't wait to get em. hope they are as helpful as folks on the forum say. no matter what fonts i use, i'm being told to change them. is there a resource for "acceptable fonts" so i know what to use and what not to use? and why are the outlines "not working." didn't understand that one. thanks again.

ddubia

The serif font you're using on the word "Productions" is thin, weak and hard to read. That is one reason you are being told to change them. There needs to be a balance between your headline font and that secondary one. Right now that balance looks/feels way out of whack. One is huge, slamming the reader in the face while the secondary is weak, receding into the background.

The outline around that secondary font makes it appear even thinner and harder to read nearly causing the read to squint to see it. (Not quite but I hope you get my meaning). My eye is drawn to that but not for a good reason. It sticks out "like a sore thumb" in that there seems to be something wrong over there. So I look at it to see what it is. I don't want to suggest a font to use. But try some other fonts that look simpler, less complicated. You may find a font with a thicker weight will do well so long as it doesn't compete with the main word for attention. And don't feel you have to embellish it with the outline. An outline might be useful and attractive. But in this case it's not so much. On a different font it might be a different story.

One reason you may have used the outline is because you noticed how the blue colored word appears on the gray oval and then how it appears off the gray oval on the white background and that it makes it look unbalanced. Good eye there. So you figured a white outline would put the whole word on the same background (the white outline) and that would help. Ordinarily it would. But the choice of the weak font, in the blue color, outlined in white, on a light gray oval on top of a white background just doesn't allow enough contrast for it to stand out in the right way. You saw the problem and you tried to fix it and that's good. Try again. lol And again if need be. I sometimes try a bunch of different things until I find something I'm satisfied with. Sometimes nothing works and I need a whole new approach.

For my taste the oval is doing nothing for me. In the light gray color with that blue make it do even less. And as DanStriker says, the white lines on the oval serve no purpose. I'm guessing you felt something needed to be there to "break up" the oval so you used the lines.

Also, as he said, try designing it in black and white. Your idea of using a chrome fill for the oval is likely an attempt at a trick to make it look snazzy (like that word? lol). But trick fills are not necessarily going to help you.

What you are likely looking for the chrome idea to do is to make it "pop" (jump out at you in a lively manner). But that can be done using proper line weight, contrast between elements, appropriate fonts and an overall pleasing and balanced layout. This can all be done in black and white. Once it pops in black and white then you can incorporate color to give it a personality.

There's nothing wrong with chrome. If it's appropriate then use it. But using it to gain some "wow" factor in a design that doesn't already pop is only going to make it complicated looking and harder to take in. Once it pops in black and white, you may still decide to use some chrome to give it that personality you're looking for.

I want to think "Thunderfoot" reminds me of a dang lighting bolt. Not so much a "foot". Does that make sense? "Thunder" is the impact word there. No real need to use a lighting bolt though. A foot can work quite well. Perhaps incorporating the two together so the pictorial looks like a thunderfoot could help. Maybe not.

Does it need an oval? Does it need a background shape at all? Why did you think it needed a background shape? Why did you think an oval would be a good background shape since you think it needed one? Why not a triangle? Or a long thinner rectangle or circle? These are the kinds of questions we ask ourselves as we are creating. There is nothing wrong with using the oval so long as we know why we are doing it as opposed to something else. Or nothing at all.

I've not really made any suggestions other than to give you some things to think about. The main thing being to think about it so you know why you are using the fonts, sizes, shapes, colors, contrasts, etc, etc that you use. If your client asked you why you put an oval behind the lettering could you tell him what your thinking is? Likely your client is not going to ask that. But you need to know that for yourself. Why did you use blue? Why did you use that font? Just throwing things at the wall to see if something sticks is a trial and error method. Throw a cup. Throw a plate. Throw a spoon or a box of cereal or a jar of pickles all to no avail. Stop and think. If you do, you'll notice the mashed potatoes in the bowl on the table and you'll know they'll stick! lol

One last thing, we are all, at one point, merely fault finders. Even when using a lot of thought and knowing the whys and wherefores we lay out an idea and then we look at it and try to figure out what's wrong with it. As we see it is lacking we try to figure out where it is lacking and why. Then we fix that and look at it again.

Is there still a problem with it? What is the problem? Is it hard to read? Why? Does it lack contrast not allowing a word to pop out and be easy to read? How can we fix that? Change the font style? Make it bigger? Smaller? Does it need an outline? Should we delete the outline we put on it?

What about any shapes we've incorporated into the design? Too big, too small, too dark, too light, wrong shape? Should I just step away from it and work on something else and come back to it later with a fresh eye?

You have indeed improved since your last posting. It's showing. Keep it up.

I have to run right now but will be back to see how it's going.

Good luck!

binki

One thing I would add as someone who is often asked to embroider these logos at 4" or less is the size of the elements when scaled down. Sewing anything smaller than 7mm or 1/4 inch is generally not going to show up well and on something like a polo shirt won't show up at all.

So when these logos are done think of all the things they can be applied to and with. Look at famous logos like Nike, Shell, Ping, and others that are simple in design but get the point across.

If you came to me to put that embroidered on a polo the word 'productions' would have to go. The oval would also probably need to go or pay more for stitch count on the sewing but worse yet would be the distortion of the logo on the shirt when it shrinks a little.

Maybe the foot with a thunder image (not sure what that looks like!) knockout in the center. Then the words can be added or left off as appropriate.

tintshopplus

here's a new take on it. not sure i like it myself but it could be the lack of color. the custy actually mentioned a lightning bolt and i originally also had a lightning bolt for a leg to the foot. but honestly thought bolts were over played and i'd get a but chewing on the forum for it. just goes to show you never know till you try. here's a new beginning.

Thunderfoot_Promo_Logo2.jpg Thunderfoot_Promo_Logo3.jpg

Last edited: