• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just launched my new website!

MatthewTimothy

not bad but i wouldnt have used flash as your player for the home page

EDIT:
search doesnt work
and you need some work on your footer
its also duplicate data when you click on gallery and underneath it, you have displayed gallery within 5px.

EDIT EDIT:
good web design standard will always place Contact Us last, this is a common practice and you may want to switch that around so not to confuse people.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
work on the placement of the google map, you basically have an orphan with the Google Map header and sub info. Place the map below it and/or get rid of the "Just click on the map for quick and easy directions on how to find us"

MatthewTimothy

In response to your code:

you dont have any external CSS and have everything hard coded into the site, big no no and will make for later updating a pain. Your Meta tags arent filled out either. further more you have NO comments on your code so updating will also be a major pain.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 115

phototec

Very nice, I like it!

And as already mentioned, it looks better than 50% of the sites I have seen here.

I Know it's a work in process, and I took that into account, but I really like the overall layout & design.

Good start

Are you building this yourself?

What software?

:rock-n-roll:

neato

It's a very nice look. The flash on the front page was a little glitchy for me, but overall I love the site.

I'm guessing that is built on wordpress?

Mosh

Takes too long to know what it is about. It looks cool, but you need a better welcome page. IMO if you have to scoll through the welcome page I am outta there....

signswi

In response to your code:

you dont have any external CSS and have everything hard coded into the site, big no no and will make for later updating a pain. Your Meta tags arent filled out either. further more you have NO comments on your code so updating will also be a major pain.

Actually you're totally wrong here, he's on WordPress which is rendering out the CSS and HTML. Welcome to PHP.

Note:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="http://www.thegraphicsco.net/wp-content/themes/overall/style.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="http://www.thegraphicsco.net/?dynamic=css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="http://www.thegraphicsco.net/wp-content/themes/overall/css/skins/deep_ocean.css" />

Metatags are depreciated, don't use them, they're a spam indicator to some search engines now and none of them use metatags as part of their SERP algo.

OP use the Nivo slider option on that theme not the 3d slider as it's flash, as pointed out already by others. Also consider turning off cufon. If you want advice on some best practices for WordPress send me a PM.

MatthewTimothy

Actually you're totally wrong here, he's on WordPress which is rendering out the CSS and HTML. Welcome to PHP.

Metatags are depreciated, don't use them, they're a spam indicator to some search engines now and none of them use metatags as part of their SERP algo.

OP use the Nivo slider option on that theme not the 3d slider as it's flash, as pointed out already by others. Also consider turning off cufon. If you want advice on some best practices for WordPress send me a PM.

ha ha, glad i dont use wordpress then and hard code. that has got to be a pain to edit after it is built. Ive been debating on learning wordpress for some time now but am in some heavy PHP with eCommerce. I disagree though with your take on Metatags and they arent a spam indicator and if i recall isnt SERP just for google??

signswi

I don't think you understand how PHP works :). It's extremely easy to edit you just adjust the css like you would on a non-php site.

Metatags aren't used by any modern search engine and are spam indicators to both Google and Bing(so also Yahoo). They were depreciated years ago. The modern engines calculate keywords from on page content as well as anchor text in backlinks and other indicators (and will penalize you for spam indicators especially old, old tricks like keyword stuffing, obfuscated keyword text, etc.). SERP means search engine results page aka ranking for a particular search. Metadescription also isn't used in either major engine as far as inclusion into their SERP algorithms but are used for the results text, so write them to convert users not to influence rank.

MatthewTimothy

I don't think you understand how PHP works :). It's extremely easy to edit you just adjust the css like you would on a non-php site.

Metatags aren't used by any modern search engine and are spam indicators to both Google and Bing(so also Yahoo). They were depreciated years ago. The modern engines calculate keywords from on page content (and will penalize you for spam indicators especially old, old tricks like keyword stuffing, obfuscated keyword text, etc.). SERP means search engine results page aka ranking for a particular search. Metadescription also isn't used in either major engine either as far as inclusion into their SERP algorithms but are used for the results text, so write them to convert users not to influence rank.

oh i understand how PHP works :thumb: looks like i need to dive a little more into some seo with some Serp :rolleyes:

signswi

Ranking factors change continuously it's a full time job just to keep up, just knowing what factors influence rank on-page is good enough for most designers. Backlink campaigns and such are best left to legit SEOs.

Check out searchengineland, seoroundtable and seobook, follow aaron wall, rand fishkin, joost de valk, etc. on g+ and you'll get a better grasp. Take SEOMoz with a grain of salt, some of their people are really good, others...not so much.

Last edited:

MatthewTimothy

Ranking factors change continuously it's a full time job just to keep up, just knowing what factors influence rank on-page is good enough for most designers. Backlink campaigns and such are best left to legit SEOs.

Check out searchengineland and seobook, follow aaron wall, rand fishkin, joost de valk, etc. on g+ and you'll get a better grasp. Take SEOMoz with a grain of salt, some of their people are really good, others...not so much.

ya its a never ending learning process. :thankyou:

the graphics co

Thanks for all the feedback everybody, I have made a few adjustments based on your comments, still getting a handle on the wordpress thing. I would definitely be interested in converting the opening flash element into a cs5 or javascript to be able to see it on mobile devices. I will have to do some research on how to do that. Sorry about the slow reply i have been swamped over here.