• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV-33 out of date inks

macosman

I've read with much enthusiasm about those who have removed the battery to set the date back on their JV-5's.

Has anyone tried this or has knowledge of trying this on a JV-33???

Thanks!
pete

ColesCreations

It works on JV3.
If it works on JV5, it should work on the JV33 also. Call Mimaki and ask:Big Laugh

I believe the JV33 uses much the same components and technology as the JV5. Can't hurt to try though, as the only thing you lose are some of your own settings... Post the result and how to do it!

Good luck!

Robert72

Call Mimaki???? LOL

I don't know if it's possible for JV5-33, but for JV3 there's a way to make the machine ignore the cartridge chips, setting some parameters to zero.

I think for the JV5 or JV33 it's the same. The problem is, where to find what parameter to touch. I also have a JV5 and have some problems with cartridge chips.

k.a.s.

I am doing that in my JV-33 right now, I took the chip from that new cartradge and switched it to the old one it has worked great so far. Just make sure you keep checking them and switch them before it runs totaly out.

Kevin

Case

It works on JV3.
If it works on JV5, it should work on the JV33 also. Call Mimaki and ask:Big Laugh

I believe the JV33 uses much the same components and technology as the JV5. Can't hurt to try though, as the only thing you lose are some of your own settings... Post the result and how to do it!

Good luck!

Can't hurt to try? This is not true... Many people have ruined there machines trying to do this... Mimaki isn't going to tell you how to do this... If you do this you are taking a risk on ruining your machine.... I would not do this... There are risks involved... Have some people sucessfully done this? Yes... Have some people done this and been unable to print for a week or more? Yes.... No manufacturer or distributer is going to help you "trick" your machine to run expired inks... And you shouldn't expect them to. It's ridiculous... Here's a tip: Don't listen to everything you read online. Even though some things may work out there, there's a possibility that it can cause you more problems than you ever knew about. Also if your machine is under warranty, running expired ink through your machine ends the warranty on the spot....

Case

Craig Perry

why would you want to put expired ink through your printer?, like drinking lumpy milk , mmm yummy.. if you get it from your supplier out of date then send it back.. if its on your shelf too long, well just don't order it so soon.. your jv33 has a UISS.. so run with 2 cars per color then when one runs out, replace it.. unless your running 6 colors or more, thats a different story..

Robert72

Hi Craig, I'm pretty sure the inks can perform as good as new even six months after the expiry date. Mimaki invests a lot of money in mechanisms for controlling the ink comsumption, expiry date, aftermarket inks. Only if they would invest the same money in perfecting the million bugs their machines have...Don't forget, their main business is the ink business, so they cheat the user with silly expiring dates, even with original cartridges whose chips don't work and can leave you in the trash if you haven't replacement or if you need to print on sunday, for example.

Kev41

Hi Guys
don't post much if anything normally (based in the UK) but enjoy reading your posts daily. Re out of date inks & changing the date on the machine i thought i would offer this word of warning "DON'T". I know of a UK signmaker who tried the exact same thing on a Mimaki & locked the machine up requiring a new very expensive Motherboard for the machine, is using up a few dollars of out of date ink worth the gamble of a laying out some serious money to fix your machine.

Kev

Case

Hi Craig, I'm pretty sure the inks can perform as good as new even six months after the expiry date. Mimaki invests a lot of money in mechanisms for controlling the ink comsumption, expiry date, aftermarket inks. Only if they would invest the same money in perfecting the million bugs their machines have...Don't forget, their main business is the ink business, so they cheat the user with silly expiring dates, even with original cartridges whose chips don't work and can leave you in the trash if you haven't replacement or if you need to print on sunday, for example.

Whether it works or still will perform as good as new or not makes no difference to me... If your machine is under warranty and you choose to use expired inks, then your warranty is over....It is not worth it.... Also, I know a few people that also have "locked up" their machines and lost motherboards as well trying to "trick" their machines into running expired ink.....
If you want to take the risk, that is your call. Just trying to give a heads up over here...

Case

premiercolour

Merchant Member
We have a solution. We sell JV33, JV5 chips. These chips have no expiration date. Each chip allows one liter of ink. So basically, if you are using 440ml, you can use two cartridges on same chip.

Francis Kao
Fieldcenter Inc
S. California
sales@fieldcenterusa.com

ColesCreations

We are now running ink that is 12-14 months out of date, with no problem at all.

Having the date of the machine set at 2006 has caused no problems what so ever

I would not recommend running with chips that don't tell you when ink is used up, as it is a hassle to have to remove and weigh cartridges before big jobs. Of course if you use a system where you can see how much ink you have, it's different.

To compare milk to ink is just plain ridiculous. It is not "fresh". Yes, it will maybe eventually go bad, but it's closer to compare to motor oil or car paint, which is fine almost forever as long as it is not opened.

And, removing the battery can't hurt, how can you even suggest that? Does anyone really think that a manufacturer would make a piece of equipment that you cannot replave parts in? What if the battery goes bad? Replace the whole printer? Think not.

I do agree with the warranty part though, don't let a tech see out of date ink if you are trying to have something covered under warranty...

Craig Perry

yeah, milk may be a slight exaggeration, but its still old ink, and to think that you suggest sticking that out of date ink out of sight when the tech comes makes me wonder.. sure they can replace parts, like batteries.. also dampers, when all the crap from the out of date ink clogs them over time :D ..

Kev41

On the latest Firmware, Mimaki as supposedly made it that the date can be put forward with no problems but putting the date backwards locks the main board. Obviously its everybodies own choice to try but will assumptions of:

And, removing the battery can't hurt, how can you even suggest that? Does anyone really think that a manufacturer would make a piece of equipment that you cannot replave parts in? What if the battery goes bad? Replace the whole printer? Think not.

Guess no one will know until a post of HELP when someone tries it & it all goes wrong. Has i said I know of one person in the UK who caused this problem & a new main board was required. So time will tell

Kev