• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-250SP - Weird line, misalignment, and aligned again after a few inches... Help?

Warped&Proud

Hi,

We have a JV3 250SP that has been acting up lately. The heads and pump are fine, with no perceptible drop-out noticeable. In short, print quality is good, with a couple very specific exceptions.

First issue:
Over-all print alignment/registration settings will, on occasion, go completely wonky. After shutting it down (unplugging, etc.) and letting the machine rest for 30 minutes, they come back basically fine.

Second issue:
At a specific distance from the right edge of the printable region, a set of vertical double lines appear in the print, about 1/16th of an inch thick. They are slightly lighter than the over-all color of the print and carry through the entire print (beginning to end). It does not mater if you move the print file around, rotate, whatever, the lines still appear at the exact same distance from the edge of the paper. Measuring from the right, everything after those lines is slightly out of registration.

Three more sets of double lines of the same width appear at a regular distance from the first set, each cast to a different shade (cyan, magenta, yellow). They are the same width as the first set, spaced about 4 inches from each other. After the last set of double lines, everything is BACK in registration.

Again, it does not mater what type of file is printed or where it is located in relation to the over-all printed region.

I've checked the obvious.
a) It is not something left behind by the feeding rollers, as that would be darker - not lighter as is happening in this case.
b) It's not the heads dropping out, as the light lines are in the wrong direction (vertical, against the grain of the print).
c) It's not the paper, as we tried three different rolls with the same exact result in the same exact location.
d) This is a recent issue that has just cropped in yesterday and this morning. It's worse this morning after a cold boot.

Third issue:
The print start location will, depending on the JV3's whim, "creep" to the right or left slightly, at a rate of about 1/8 of an inch per yard.

The paper isn't shifting - we checked. It's like the machine has forgot where to start printing.

This issue goes away with a cold boot of the printer and seems related to out fourth and fifth issues.

Fourth issue (rare, related to very large/long prints):
After printing bidirectional for a short distance (a couple feet to a couple yards), the printer caddy will behave as if it is printing bidirectional, but the ink only comes out on the outgoing pass.

The size of the pass changes from about 1/4" to a full inch in thickness and the over-all ink coverage drops by 50% for a couple passes and then nothing. No ink output at all. Zero, nada, nothing.

These are clean, exact steps with no messy residue - pass thickness change and ink 50% drop, two inches, no ink output after that point.

If you stop it, and do a test drop, the caddy behaves as if it is doing a test drop, but no ink comes out. Zero, nothing at all. Not even a streaky mess. If it was the heads, you would have a little bit of SOMETHING come out.

Again, the heads are FINE! Dampers are full! Lines are not dry! It is as if the heads are not getting a command to actually drop ink.

Cold boot, and everything is back to normal - for a while as long as the print size is not too big.

Fifth issue:
Similar to the prev. issue, an EPS with a lot of white space. A few inches just before is gets to the white space and tries to start advancing past to continue the print, it will stop, Waite and then print at 50% opacity.

It then advances to the start of the next bit it actually needs to lay ink down for and continues to print at 50% opacity for a few inches before it starts laying ink down at full opacity.

Anyway...

I am at my whit's end with this machine. I have effectively declared it off-line until I can figure out what is wrong, and what needs to happen to fix it.

:frustrated::banghead:

<meek voice> Help...

The second and third issues point to problems with the linear encoder/ X-Rail/ encoder strip (goes by different names depending on the manufacturer) or it's sensor. I would look into the procedure for cleaning it, though I can't offer any specific information for doing so on the JV3 250.

What RIP are you driving the machine with?

particleman

Castek hit the nail on the head on 2 and 3 I also agree. I'm willing to bet #2 is caused by a drop of ink on your encoder strip.. I've had that happen more than once, if you can get it off it may be ok, as far as #3, removing the stop may fix that too. Worse case you'll need a new strip it sounds like.

I would get the encoder strip fixed before digging into the other issues, but #4 may be a firmware issue of some sort, there may be a later version for the 250, Like castek is leaning, the rip could cause this too.

Castek and Particleman are correct, the Linear Encoder/Encoder Sensor would definitely be the first thing to check. The creeping issue and loss of registration could be part of this also.

Take a look at the Linear Encoder Strip for ink spots - They should be pretty much in-line with where the vertical lines are appearing on your print. To clean the Linear Encoder, use a very soft cloth (Something you'd use for cleaning optics would be ideal) moistened with water. If this doesn't remove the ink, up the ante by moving to undiluted Windex - Be wary of using anything stronger than this.

If this still doesn't resolve the problem another trick is to loosen the two screws that mount the Encoder Sensor to the back of the Carriage, raise or lower it slightly and then re-tighten - Hopefully the Sensor will now be scanning above or below the stubborn ink spot.

One other thing to check the large ribbon Cables that run from the Main Board to the slider for damaged tracks or missing insulation. In particular take a good look where the Cables exit the IGUS Chain and pass over the top of the Slider. It's possible that the Main PCB may be getting only intermittent communication from the Encoder Sensor which could account for the creeping and a whole host of other problems.

Hope this helps :)

APC Tech NE

I agree on the encoder thing, the other issues may be attributed to corrupt parameters. I have seen a couple of machines in the field that have had random registration issues that come and go, sometimes the fix is to reload a hopefully saved set for your machine. Look on your rip for a .prm file with your machine serial number as the name of the file. If you do not have these parameters, you will likely have to get the originals from Mimaki tech support. Keep in mind if any of your heads were changed out during the life of the machine, the service alignments will no longer be valid and have to be reset by a trained tech.
Good Luck!

Warped&Proud

I want to thank everyone here so very much for the assistance in disgnosing and helping to resolve this issue.

You have all been an increadible help!

It turns out it was Linear Encoder Strip. There ware two, very very tiny dots of libricant that had dripped/splattered onto that strip from the rail just above it.

A cotton swab and a little bit of isopropyl fix it! The sucker is working just as good as new!

And to answer a question from Castek Resources, we use Poster Print 12 to run our printers with J-Eco Subly Nano inks.

Last edited: