• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33/RasterLink Dropping Crop Marks Incorrectly?

Dot_Gain

I recently had a large order in which I had a number of sheets that had to be printed exactly to size for an outside fabricator. I noticed that everything I was printing was coming out around an inch short on the vertical drop and couldn't figure out why. My files would be the correct size in Illustrator and RasterLink, but there was always that inch missing. What was weirder still was that there was no image distortion -- it wasn't shrinking the graphic by an inch -- and when I printed another different sized panel from that same job, it was off by just as much.

After much head-scratching, I tried the same job on a lighter substrate (the actual job was on a brown fabric) and found that my top crop marks were suddenly a bit higher. I didn't gain all of that missing inch back, but i came within a quarter of an inch.

Has anyone had similar experiences of inconsistent crop marks with their JV33 or with RasterLink? I'm trying to address this problem and the best thing I can come up with right now is to stop using the marks in RasterLink and just draw them in myself on Illustrator. The inconsistency with the substrate is still throwing me for a loop, though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.