• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Knife Not Lifting,.Dragging across Vinyl

3dsignco

I Have looked at some old posts and see somethings similar haaping to people with this material but not like whats happening here.

Problem here is its not consistent. One time everything cuts fine next minute trashes everything

I have to cut 21000 decals by Christmas.
Whats happening is when I send the file to the Graphtec (7000 130 through Signlab 7) It will start cutting fine then about half way through a batch the blade will not lift and actually goes all the way through the paper and had munched a few cutting strips also.

I thought it might be too large of a cut file,
Tried making smaller sheets. Nope
Tried a new design in case of a ghost.. Nope
Tried both Languages. HPGL and GPGL Nope
Tried Adjusting the Blade up speed.. Nope
Tangental mode off.. Nope

Anyone have a clue what could be causing this.

Thank God I still have my 2 Summa's.. They Just work. I just wanted to have 3 Plotters going to get this job done.

Dice

Our 5100 seems to do this from time to time. Seems to do it after an abort. We've learned to turn it completely off then back on if we abort a cut.

Could be signlab, have you tried cutting master?

Hopefully our new FC8000 doesn't do it.

visualeyez

It might have something to do with the way your file is layered. I have much better luck sending 1 logo to to printer/cutter with 250 copies, than sending 1 file with 250 instances of the same logo.
Often times your file will have the negative spaces set to cut twice as they have an additional transparent fill outline on a seperate layer. Thus, halfway through the cut job it will begin cutting the same area again and penetrate the media. Usually this occurs from an autotrace used such as in Illustrator.

-Keith

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
grease the spring mechanism

Depends on which spring mechanism you're talking about. Do not lubricate the blade up/down mechanism, all you'll do is make a dust collector out of it. It should be dry of all lubricants.

If the blade is dragging try removing the dust cover form the tool carriage and blowing the dust and crud out of it. Pay special attention to the up/down mechanism. Most of the time a dragging blade is a symptom of the tool not moving up and down freely. It is also the cause of incomplete cuts more often than not. This is a delicate mechanism and it takes very little contamination to prevent it from moving completely or to just slow it down.