• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L25500 Burnt Vinyl Smell & Service Contract

Chimuka

Hi L25500 users,

I recently attended a HP demonstration of their latex printer. The demonstration was held in a room a bit larger than my vinyl cutting and printing clean room. Although there was not an ink odor in the room, there was the headache producing smell of burnt vinyl . The operator was printing on HP cast vinyl. If one were to print on scrim would the odor become even stronger?
My question is ….

Does one just get used to the smell, and or is it a problem?

Are others venting this printer as well?

In all fairness the printer remained heated for the entire demonstration so if one were to print and then shut the printer off I suspect burnt vinyl fumes could be kept to a minimum.

One other item I found troubling was the price of the service contract after the warranty is up.
$200 or better a month for a unit that you are already replacing printheads and capping stations seems high to me. What parts are failing after a year that would run over $2400 for the repair each year?

For my needs this printer does come close but, what would really sell me would be a C,M,Y K unit with the capacity for spot colors like orange and white. My old Summa DC1 is pretty much tired out and it would sure be nice not to have to frustrate myself when I have special needs for colors that the “NEW” printer does not produce.

Like others have said … Maybe it is best to wait for generation 2. It just seems that if there is a need for more features, someone is going to incorporate them sooner than one thinks.
:thankyou:

RobbyMac

It has a smell/odor thats for sure. It's like a burnt killz primer smell (or how I imagine killz primer burning would smell).
I've not noticed the smell any worse on our 13 oz scrim than other materials (vinyl, perf, etc).

But I do get concerned about running any sort of pvc materials through such a high heat... We don't have any additional venting specifically for the hp.

The odor gets masked by the mimaki parked across from it most times. If you're right next to the hp or head near the vents while taping to the take up core, etc, you notice it most. Our room is maybe 40' x 50'

Chimuka

I know well that burnt Kilz smell as well. My old shop had the co-ray-vac radiant heaters and when coating out MDO whether Kilz , block out or 1-shot . The smell from that type of heat persuaded me to put forced air heating in my current shop.

I do have a Mutoh 1304 at present that is working quite well so I am not forced to make a decision immediately on the L25500 but I sure would like the luxury of laminating soon after printing.

Thanks for your comment RobbyMac!

MachServTech

Hi L25500 users,

Does one just get used to the smell, and or is it a problem?

Are others venting this printer as well?

I don't have significant smells coming off my machine, (definitely nothing I would even consider venting) but I don't run much HP media either, so I cant say for sure. (never had any "burning" smell)

As for the extended warranty, I opted not to get it, the printheads at $95 a piece are good for about 8000-20000 sqft, so far I have only used six. The warranty just expired and the takeup quit working so that was about $200.

Overall, very satisfied, especially with the print quality, never any banding and I have a new work flow that takes full advantage of the no dry time.

Gripes: wait time before printing about 15% longer than my solvent machines. Take up needs to be built better. Major pain to load fabrics.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
If any of you guys want a printed sample pack to see what this thing can do just let me know and I will send one over.

Chimuka

Thanks for your comments MachServTech & Bigfish as well. I did see samples from the HP sponsored demonstration.