• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L310 Suddently printing poorly

Vinyldog

Printed one banner that looked great, started printing on the second and suddenly colors are pastel and look splotchy. Optimizer cart is low but it has not told me to replace it. On hold with tech support now.

Are the two prints coming off of the same roll of media, or different rolls?

Often times with PVC-based banner media, rolls of PVC media can eventually develop plasticizer contamination which will cause the HP Latex ink to print very poorly, due to plasticizer interference with ink adhesion.

Vinyldog

Same roll (13oz Forward banner) one day and about one foot later. After consulting tech-support I cleaned the print-heads and got a passable result but colors still looks slightly washed out to me. Also, it locked up while printing the test pattern after the cleaning with an “assertion error”, so I restarted the machine, did another cleaning and it did the same thing again at the same place on the test pattern.
I think I’ll try replacing the M print head next. According to the usage report that head has printed a little over 800ml of ink since the machine was new.
I had presumed the machine would tell when it needed to be cleaned, it tells me everything else.

Is there an error code # associated with the 'assertion error'?

Nozzle performance is absolutely key with any and all inkjet printers, large, grand, or small format. One thing that is nice about the HP Latex machines is that nozzle performance is regularly reassessed automatically by the printer, using an Optical Drop Detection routine. One thing that can be very helpful with the Latex 300 Series is that the nozzles that are presently mapped as 'out' are being recorded in the machine's Printer Information document. This document is be dynamically built by going to a browser and punching up the printer's IP Address.

From there, navigate to Support > Service Support > Printer Information > All Pages.

It is important to keep in mind that each printhead in the printer (out of a total of 6) has 2112 nozzles, for a total nozzle count of 12,672 installed in the printer at any time. Some of these nozzles are 'reserve' nozzles which do not get used until a 'primary' nozzle is out, and the reserve nozzle fires in place of the primary, to preserve image quality. These remap assignments are made automatically during periodic Drop Detection routines that occur on a regular and automated basis.

Paul

Vinyldog

I did see a number: 79:04. Is that an error code number? Is the Printer information document similar to the Usage report that can be printed from the printer?

If you spoke with HP support, you probably learned that the 79.04 error is the printers equivalent to a blue screen in Windows, it is essentially an undefined error.

Some percentage of the time, these errors are related to I/O and network settings, or conflicts with Anti-virus or similar programs. Make sure that you are not sharing an Ethernet cable with the RIP computer and an IP phone (daisy chaining). Make sure that the printers' firmware is up to date.

Paul

I did see a number: 79:04. Is that an error code number? Is the Printer information document similar to the Usage report that can be printed from the printer?

The Printer Info document is built through the EWS browser interface, and is typically not printed on the Latex printer. It is frequently used by telephone support staff to help diagnose the root cause of issues.

Paul

Vinyldog

The only number I could find on the cartridge that might refer to a date was 20170207S1. One thing I did notice is that the temp is set to 240 while it's doing the test print. Much higher than the 210 I typically use.
I remember hearing something about a bad batch when I bought the machine back in April but I thought it was print-heads?

twmiller24

Run an automatic nozzle alignment. If the bars on the nozzle alignment have an arc instead of a rectangular shape, it's a known issue. You'll need to replace the magenta and light magenta printheads and update your firmware. I would also call HP about it -- they probably will replace your heads.

Vinyldog

I didn't realize there were two Y/M print-heads, so I replaced the one on the far right first. I capped the one I replaced off. Can I use it if replacing one doesn't fix the problem?

I didn't realize there were two Y/M print-heads, so I replaced the one on the far right first. I capped the one I replaced off. Can I use it if replacing one doesn't fix the problem?

There are a total of six (6) heads in the Latex 300 series printers:

1. Optimizer
2. Light Cyan / Light Magenta
3. Cyan / Black
4. Cyan / Black
5. Magenta / Yellow
6. Magenta / Yellow

All six printheads need to be installed, aligned, and functioning properly in order for the printer to produce a good result. The printer will align the heads automatically upon insertion.

Paul

Vinyldog

so during OPQ calibration is the printer actually making adjustments to itself based on scanning the patterns it printed during head alignment?

jeremy_daniel

Did you just update your firmware? I updated my firm ware just a little of a week ago for the L360 and have had nothing but problems. was also getting the 79.04 error then optimizer started leaking and we had to replace all heads we also have not run much more the 1000ml through the heads. Even after replacing all heads 8 pass seems worse than it ever was on our vinyl. did alignments and everything I am basically having to print 16pass right now on everything cause the printer was down for almost a week we are in Alaska so nothing comes quick.

But I'm starting to wonder if HP's last update is not stable.

derekw13029

so during OPQ calibration is the printer actually making adjustments to itself based on scanning the patterns it printed during head alignment?

It is my understanding that yes, it is.

However, the auto alignment can be skewed by the type of media on which you are running the test. The user guide says to use a substrate that has no texture, is white, and isn't too glossy. I know I've run the auto alignment on a poor media choice and it seemed to make my issues worse before I used a better material.

It is also suggested that if the auto alignment doesn't resolve the issue, you can run the manual alignment. If you have the HP User Guide, instructions are in there for performing the manual alignment.

How's Tulsa treating you? Did you get much damage from the ice storm? Here in OKC I had just about every single tree in my neighborhood wrecked, but I didn't lose power!

I like the Zur-En-Arrh Batman, too. :)

Vinyldog

Thankfully, no ice here or power outage. I originally tried to use Sihl tri-solve paper for the head alignment after installing the new firm-ware but even with the heat down to 190 it was still wrinkling the paper, so I used IJ40 which seemed to work fin.
Tech support showed me how to access the printer usage on-line and head #5 had been used far more than all others. Unfortunately I had already replaced head #6 so I’m not sure I replaced the one that needed replacing but the good news is that it does seem to be working fine now. I also replaced the OP which showed to be very low.
Head 6 had been used enough to be out of warranty.

Vinyldog

"But I'm starting to wonder if HP's last update is not stable"

That does sound suspiciously similar. It was my impression that the machine continually downloaded the latest firmware automatically. But maybe not.
In any event, it did install new FW after I replaced the print-head and it does seem be working fine now so you may want to DL another version as soon as possible.