• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lam overlays on wrap?

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
I normally print my wraps and lam after they degas - then, if customer wants I overlay fluorescent or holographic on top of the lam. However - has anyone printed a wrap, applied fluorescent overlay, then lam everything to protect the cut fluorescent vinyl? Or would there be gap issue with the lam and the thickness of the overlay on top of the wrap?

Any suggestions? Would like to ensure the fluorescent and holographic will hold up as long as the wrap with lam.

TDFcustomSL

Of all the wraps ive seen on race cars, most, not all, the fluorescents are laminated over. some look better than others but the thickness of the overlay really doesn't affect anything that Ive seen. I did my first half wrap on a race car and overlayed green fluorescent on the numbers and had to laminate by hand because I didn't have a laminator at the time (just got one, still trying to figure out how to not get wrinkles) the downfall to laminating by hand was I didn't put enough pressure on it to get it to set into the lip around the overlay, doesn't look terrible but I think with a laminator and more force it would have had a "smoother" look to it. To me, laminating over the overlay will have a more finished appearance and feel. just my opinion :smile:

Flame

Laminating over cut vinyl is a horrible idea. It will tent around the edge of the vinyl. Print, lam, overlay your "special effects" vinyl, and rock and roll.

gnatt66

ive never done it, but the team my bud works for has about 5 race cars and they are all done that way by a local shop. its pretty slick and the lam doesnt tent too bad at all. personally, when a tire hits the wrap it's gonna junk it no matter the order it's laid down. i dont laminate my own race car stuff but i do for all customer work so its brake kleen proof, etc. not so much for the durability but for the client satisfaction angle.

mcgrawdesigns

Done it both ways several times. Never had an issue with "tenting" when I have laminated over the specialty vinyl. The only concern I ever have when laminating over the flourescent or holographic or whatever is; what if smothing screws up while laminating and get a wrinkle or some other problem. Then you are out not only your print, but also the higher-priced specialty vinyl to boot that you have installed on your print. To me it looks the same either way you do it, so kinda your call as to which way you want to go.

I have never had any problems with mine. I have been putting overlays under the lam for about 3 yrs now.
Here are a couple I have done.
IMG_0532.jpg IMG_0569.jpg

Precision

If we were doing this we would use 180 w 8518 lam for the printed part of the wrap. If we could laminate the wtap with the holographic material we would do in place of the 8518.

I am not familiar with that particular material, but assumed it was a type of laminate? It needs to be a cast if you are laminating/overlaying, and installing on a vehicle. There's laminate especially for this, I believe Fellers offers it.

We try to read the specs on the materials and not over promise. (If we get the sale, it's on our conditions. If we don't get the it, then we probably saved ourselves a headache). There's plenty of easier business out there, make sure it is always profitable!

Only other thing we might do, is overlay a cool hollographic overlay on the 180/8518. One time we ghosted some gloss laminate "punisher" looking cut graphics on a camo matte finish dirt bike wrap. Looked pretty good.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

MikePro

it also makes it a bit more difficult to wrap 4-layers of material on a contour. much easier to apply separately, and place precisely.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I stay out of the race car area, but coming from the firetruck area it was very common to apply vinyl with encapsulating laminate on it to protect it and extend its lifespan.
I would laminate your vinyl as regular, but encapsulate your overlays.

Set up your overlays as normal for your plotter, and then add a 3/16 offset outside path to all of the cuts.
Cut your vinyl, then weed only that path out and then laminate your material.
You will then have to hand-cut along the outer path to have the vinyl you want encapsulated with the 3/16 of laminate encapsulating/protecting it.
DEFINITELY up-charge for this extra labor. You will have to run your squeegee around it after install to get it down well and may have to pop a bubble or two but it'll extend the lifespan a lot if you use a quality UV cast laminate.

truckgraphics

We always laminate specialty overlay vinyl within wrap. We also laminate specialty vinyl when we put it over a laminated wrap. For example, adding a reflective phone number.

Reason being, we often do work for pressure washers or landscapers that spray around chemicals which aren't particularly friendly to specialty vinyl, particularly printed specialty vinyl. We learned out lesson, as the chemicals tend to ruin the specialty features.

Anyway, that's how we do it. It looks fine, though you can see the edge if you look hard enough from about a foot away. No one has complained and in fact, most customers who require specialty vinyl request that it be laminated.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
I have applied Fluorescent Vinyl and thin chrome vinyl to Digital Prints then laminated over the print and vinyl added to it with a CAST laminate and they did fine.
In my experience though, the Fluorescent vinyl still didn't keep it's "Bright" color even with UV laminate but it made the colors last for several years instead of of 6 to 12 months.
But my decals were out in the weather for several years. Racecars are usually kept indoors or trailered when not on the track so not as much sunlight gets to them.

149motorsports

Use transfer tape on the cut vinyl, line it up on the print and squeegee it on as normal, it's not too bad.
How would you even see how to line it up with the paper backing still on? Do it the wet method?

I have a huge light table when I do my cut vinyl I can line up.. thats not an issue..Thats why I was asking for a video lol