• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate feeding off

I have a cheaper laminator that has always worked just fine for me. Used to be able to load a roll and run the whole 150' with no issues. Lately its been seeming to pull the outside of the vinyl and bunching up and having an excess in the center of the vinyl. I run 60" material through it. Wondering if this is just because the machine is about 6-7 years old and the rollers are getting worn out or if there is something I can change to fix the issue? Another issue I have that I didn't used to have is when I do my race car wrap with holographic or neon overlays when I run them through it leaves a lot of air trapped in between the laminate and vinyl. Time to get a new machine?

IMG_8130.jpg

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Sounds like uneven tension on the roller. That can be calibrated I think. No idea how that's done though. Someone around here might know how...

ras318

What you are describing is what I would refer to as a "D" wave. That comes form there being more pressure on the sides than the center of the rollers. There are two main causes of this type of wave. The first is two more roller pressure. As more down pressure is added you start to force the center of the rollers apart. This is referred to as roller deflection. The second is that the rollers are just worn out. From use the center of the roller will wear and create this type of wave. An easy check is to bring the rollers down until they are just short of touching and look at the gap. The gap should be even all the way across, or closer in the center and taper out toward the ends. This will depend on if you have crowned or flat rollers. If the gap is larger in the center and closer on the ends then the rollers are worn out and need to be replaced.