• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

laminate or not

watchdaride

Thinking of starting a automotive decal/striping for cars business using a roland vs-300i . Could i get away with nor laminating it . Most graphics will be on the side of car . Dont know how durable the inks are to light scratching , Are there some inks harder to scratch than othe like oem inks . see sample in pics
autographicB (11).jpg
autographicB (13).jpg

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
If you do go the Roland VS-300i route, you'll need laminate to make them last any amount of time outdoors. The inks can scratch off easily enough and won't hold up to weather very well, no matter what brand you use.

2B

The Roland is an Eco-Solv Printer
you need to use lam

The "Toyota" example is a 2nd surface imprint, either screen or UV

petepaz

also before you start check online for your competitors pricing and make sure you can compete with them.
custom graphics you should be fine but there are a few companies that have stock items and buy in bulk and keep them on the shelf you might not be able to compete with that pricing

signheremd

You will need to laminate them. As far as vinyl, Avery MPI 1005 EZ (and NOT the EZRS - repositionable needs to be post form heated, whereas EZ does not) is a good quality, readily available air release type vinyl with good initial tack and a good price. Avery sets the price on this, so it should cost the same every where it is sold. I also like Oracal 3951 RA, but sadly this is out of stock frequently and a bit higher priced. As far as lamination, I would suggest Grimco's brand Briteline WrapCast Overlaminate in Optically Clear. Really great price, offers UV protection, and is really the same as 3M 8518 laminate.

watchdaride

also before you start check online for your competitors pricing and make sure you can compete with them.
custom graphics you should be fine but there are a few companies that have stock items and buy in bulk and keep them on the shelf you might not be able to compete with that pricing
most premade ones are 1 color . Looking to make 2-3 color ones to sell on line .
1 (349).jpg
1 (745).jpg

ikarasu

Most shops online are selling cheap, crappy chinese vinyl that peels off and doesnt last longer than a few months to a year.

You'll notice most shops selling these things are new - Because they keep shutting down and starting over, or just outright going out of business.

You can make a quick buck starting out selling crap, but once word gets around your sales will dwindle. You need a good vehicle grade vinyl, and a laminate - unfortunatelly that means your decals will be more expensive than the chinese ones...so the only option really is to go custom and sell stuff others dont have.

8518 is on the more expensive side - but still under $1 a sqft. So to print your GP decal...you're probably adding $2 in laminate - If you cant afford to add $2 to your decal price to make it last... you wont survive selling the decals in the first place!

So, Yes - You need to use a good vehicle grade vinyl, and a vehicle grade laminate.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I don't think you can make a quality product without laminating it. You have to remember, not all your customers will live in Florida.

Up here in Wisconsin it snows and there's salt and sand on the roads. It is not uncommon to go through a car wash weekly or more if you are a picky person. In rural areas roads can be gravel and dirt. Over the next 24 hours we expect about 12"+ of snow. If it gets cold you get ice chunks, when it warms up, there's mud.

332722039_1154407951932187_3990216824657218873_n.jpg

unclebun

Factory graphics are not made on digital printers and they don't use regular sign vinyls.

If you're making graphics for vehicles with a digital printer, they have to be laminated. Period. Not that there aren't individuals selling graphics on ebay and Pinterest which aren't laminated. But they don't care if the graphics only last a few months.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Those OEM graphics are screenprinted, that's why they don't have/need a pressure-sensitive overlaminate.

Yes, you will need to laminate your prints. Yes, you have your work cut out for you if you're going to just jump in the oversaturated market without much background knowledge.

I'd be concerned about what you've done with that printer so far if you're not aware that permanent/outdoor/vehicle graphics should be laminated.

Good luck.

watchdaride

i do window tinting . 10 yrs ago people wanted $99 tint . Now because of cars being $40K + they are willing to use top quality and pay more . So will only use good quality vinyl . Tired of retail trying the online selling .

i havent gotten a machine yet . Still looking into the feasibility of it . not looking to compete with chinese ebay crap .

White Haus

Not a Newbie
i do window tinting . 10 yrs ago people wanted $99 tint . Now because of cars being $40K + they are willing to use top quality and pay more . So will only use good quality vinyl . Tired of retail trying the online selling .

i havent gotten a machine yet . Still looking into the feasibility of it . not looking to compete with chinese ebay crap .

Ah I see. Sorry to jump on you then. Definitely a good idea to do lots of research before you take the plunge, which it looks like you're doing.

I know it's not what you asked, but one piece of advice I'd give is to buy the biggest machine you can afford/fit in your shop. Lots of things fall outside of the capacity of a 30" printer and you'll be kicking yourself if you buy something and realize after the fact that it's not going to do everything you need.