• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating 100s of Sheets at a Time

I was recently tasked with laminating 100s of 12x18 digital prints with Briteline mounting film.
I came up with a very quick solution. It worked perfectly, which I did not expect. Not a single one was bad.
Thought I would share in case it helps anyone else.
If you have any questions, just ask!
Laminating 12x18 sheets.jpg

greysquirrel

it would waste Kraft paper but you cold sandwich between the two for an easier run. waste material or time with your method...but yeah print on a wide format printer and be done

ikarasu

You put the laminate on your roller, and kraft paper as what you're laminating... Then you just feed the sheets into your laminator. The kraft paper is used as a waste, and prevents the laminate from sticking to the roller.

You waste a $20 worth of kraft paper.... But you save however long it took you to tape them up.

We do a lot of screenprinting and have to laminate certain things after when they want anti graffiti, we don't do liquid coating -so it's the method we use. I think we pay $100 for a few hundred ft of kraft paper.

You put the laminate on your roller, and kraft paper as what you're laminating... Then you just feed the sheets into your laminator. The kraft paper is used as a waste, and prevents the laminate from sticking to the roller.

You waste a $20 worth of kraft paper.... But you save however long it took you to tape them up.

We do a lot of screenprinting and have to laminate certain things after when they want anti graffiti, we don't do liquid coating -so it's the method we use. I think we pay $100 for a few hundred ft of kraft paper.
Ah, yes. I had this idea previously on another job. It did not work. Perhaps I did something wrong, but the "waste" paper underneath started folding and tearing and causing tons of problems.
I have a SEAL 62 Pro.
I have been told by techs that the "barrel" shaped rollers cause paper to tear quite often.

ikarasu

I hate doing it because the paper tends to crumple after awhile, We use a seal as well. My royal sovereign came with a second roller specifically meant for kraft paper.... Never tried it out though, so maybe it's better.

We use a 5x12 rolls roller - lau them all flat and do it that way, it's nice to have and works better than kraft If you're lucky enough to get one!

Saturn

Aging Member
Could be worth calling local print shops to see if they would offer cheap varnishing? I worked for a place that used to send a lot of their Indigo sheets to another printer for this.

Could be worth calling local print shops to see if they would offer cheap varnishing? I worked for a place that used to send a lot of their Indigo sheets to another printer for this.
We have several coating machines. These needed briteline mounting film, specifically. That can only be done in my department on the SEAL laminator.

greysquirrel

Ah, yes. I had this idea previously on another job. It did not work. Perhaps I did something wrong, but the "waste" paper underneath started folding and tearing and causing tons of problems.
I have a SEAL 62 Pro.
I have been told by techs that the "barrel" shaped rollers cause paper to tear quite often.
Seal 62Pro has crowned rollers...work from the middle, you just want pressure set so rollers tough. Higher pressure does not help laminating it hurts. It will cause alignment at nip(where rollers touch) to be misaligned. You should be able to web the printer up with pressure sensitive film on top or get lintless pressure sensitive laminate and load a roll of craft on the bottom, basically sandwiching your prints between the two. Do a ton tube search for Scott Tessier. he has a whole video on your machine.

richsweeney

Unless it needed to be waterproof, then subcontract with a UV coating. Otherwise your print vendor may have this machine.

Unless it needed to be waterproof, then subcontract with a UV coating. Otherwise your print vendor may have this machine.
That is a nifty machine. However, I was laminating it with Briteline mounting film(clear double sided adhesive). I have doubts it would work on that machine and I would have to cut the rolls down to size.