• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating 3M 3930?

Hello All -

A customer of ours needs us to make four custom signs for the highway, we are required to use 3M 3930 for the High Intensity Prismatic Reflective Sheeting DOT requirement. Can we laminate that with 3M 8518?

Thanks!

ikarasu

No. You need to laminate it with 3M 1170C To meet DOT specs.

How are you producing the sign? If you're printing it...you need to have a Latex printer and the DOT Certified traffic software, otherwise it doesn't meet the required specs, and you could get into a lot of trouble if someone crashes and blames your sign for it... Not worth the risk to make a few bucks, IMO.

Is it just black / blue / green / etc something that can be diecut? buy some 11xx series vinyl and diecut it if so - Technically you still arent certified to make them, but at least they'd be up to spec.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/road-safety-us/digital-traffic-sign-printing/agencies/ - You can find out about the printing as well as specs here.

Tony-A

Reflective Traffic Sign-Graffiti Overlay Expert
If digitally printing traffic signs you need to ensure You are using the approved equipment by the reflective film manufacturer since several digitally printed ink systems will
not meet the proper color, chromaticity, transparency and durability needs of traffic signs called out in the MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices). I chaired a Subcommitee
on Digitally printing traffic signs and it is also very important to use the accepted UV overlaminate for any sign expected to be in the field for over 3 years to ensure against digitally printed
ink fading. The Committee members put forth this nationally recommended National Specification via ATSSA (American Traffic Safety Services Association).

If you produce traffic signs that are not the proper color, transparency, retroreflectivity it can impact traffic/ roadway safety and there can be some product liability and You may also have to replace
signage that is out of spec costing large sums of money. Traffic signs are rather unique with important specifications. I can assist if there are questions. Another great product brand of reflective film and overlay for traffic signs
is supplied under the Nikkalite Brand and they offer a highly effective UV and Premium Graffiti Overlay in one film- EF40801 F-Cal for use on their reflective films.