• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Laminating ACM/Max Metal

FastMat

We are just starting to UV print on ACM/Max Metal. We have had adhesion issues and want to laminate over the print. Should we laminate then route, or route then laminate? That is my question. We are printing on digital ACM.

signheremd

Best to route the sign and then print it. If you are using a flatbed UV printer, you can print a jig (outline) of the sign on to the bed of the printer and then use that to position the routed sign. Ideally, as long as your flatbed is large enough, you would set the sign up with bleed and the jig to the same size. As far as getting the ink to adhere there are a number of adhesion promoters - like Solv S1000. You can also coat the ACM in vinyl and then print on the vinyl if need be (great way to save a piece of ACM if your printer messes up).

unclebun

Rather than trying to laminate to solve an ink adhesion problem, you should probably solve the ink adhesion problem. A building is only as good as its foundation, and in this case, the bond of the ink to the panel is the foundation. Same reason why just slapping another wrap over an old deteriorating wrap is a bad idea. When the base layer starts peeling up it takes the new layer with it.

ikarasu

If you laminate and are having ink adhesion problems, when the laminate gets heated / cooled it'll rip the UV ink off / make it crack.

You're supposed to use a UV liquid laminate like Malibu if that's your plan, otherwise within a few months it'll lookjke crap.

LarryB

We UV flatbed print on our Agfa then the ACM is laminated using our Rolls Roller. After that it goes to the router.

FastMat

We UV flatbed print on our Agfa then the ACM is laminated using our Rolls Roller. After that it goes to the router.
That's what I was thinking as well. Do you laminate to protect the print? Are you having UV adhesion issues with the ACM?

LarryB

That's what I was thinking as well. Do you laminate to protect the print? Are you having UV adhesion issues with the ACM?
We use a cast overlaminate to help from fading. No issues at all with adhesion issues. Agfa ink is great.

My old HP FB500 had issues with laminate pulling up.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Rather than trying to laminate to solve an ink adhesion problem, you should probably solve the ink adhesion problem. A building is only as good as its foundation, and in this case, the bond of the ink to the panel is the foundation. Same reason why just slapping another wrap over an old deteriorating wrap is a bad idea. When the base layer starts peeling up it takes the new layer with it.
This 100% ^^^^^
If you don't fix the adhesion problem, you'll always have a problem, and it's better to figure it out before you hand a customer something that'll fail. Some have good luck routing after, some don't. I always routed first, then print whenever possible. Even with good adhesion, routing puts a lot of heat and force at the cut edges that can cause ink to lift and chip, something it'll never see in use.