• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating problem with printed viny

evoprinting

Hey all, hoping someone can assist. Our main production person quit and I've been relearning basic print and laminating techniques. I've been having a problem with printed vinyl 'bunching" and rippling while laminating. I'm not sure if it's a machine problem or operator problem. It's worse on 60" rolls. Seal 62 ultra c laminator.
I'm sure the lead edge is square. Any insight is appreciated. Tried to upload photos but its not letting me. I'll resize and add them later.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
sounds like a tension issue, or you are possibly not loading it correctly. pictures will help.

evoprinting

Here are a few images. Looking at the viny print, not the laminate. Feeding starts without issue but after a few feet, the print starts to bunch up. Thinking it could be a roller issue but not sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-203253_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-203253_Gallery.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20210909-203227_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-203227_Gallery.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot_20210909-203128_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-203128_Gallery.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 119

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
When you feed the vinyl, is it cut perfectly straight at 90 degrees to the 'long' side and fed in straight? A warped cut can do this as it will grab at slightly different times and will buckle further down the roll.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Can you adjust the tension on your roller - to reduce the pressure? It could also be uneven tension-pressure. Have you ever calibrated it?

You have also got Laminate Overhang on at least one side (see attached, framed in red). This can cause the exposed adhesive to catch on laminator surfaces like the bottom roller, or platen features on the exit side, and lead to wrinkling and wasted prints. Roller balance and pressure are additional possibilities. If the laminator was working for the previous operator, and you are having issues with wrinkled prints, it is more likely your technique that is contributing to this.

Attachments

• LamOverhang.JPG
    LamOverhang.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 112

rjssigns

Yes, we always start with a square lead edge.
How do you know? Not trying to be a d!ck but for long runs I double check and trim as necessary to get a perfectly square lead edge.

Also, it isn't a pressure issue. You're not loading it perfectly square to the nip point.

Solution?
1) Make sure the lead edge is perfectly square. Take your time and double check. Trim as necessary.
2) *Tape lead edge with two layers of 2" masking tape in line with your perfectly straight edge.(super secret squirrel trick)
3) Gently feed the taped edge into the nip point.
4) Bump foot control to grab taped edge and stop immediately.
5) Step to the left or right side and sight from leading edge of nip roll to back edge of tape. If it's the slightest bit skewed start over.

*Why the masking tape? Laminate doesn't stick to it and you can back out and start over as many times as necessary.

The above "trick" allows me to run full rolls with ~1/4" skew.

Laminating is an art, not science. You will not bend the laminator to your will. Once you learn what the laminator wants you'll be a happy camper.

evoprinting

on on your roller - to reduce the pressure? It could also be uneven tension-pressure. Have you ev
Thanks for the tips and tricks. I'll give them a shot. I'm fairly certain something is wrong with the machine. Yes, I'm rusty but the problem keeps getting worse. I will look deeper into the pressures over the weekend. I don't have feeler gauges here at the moment.
We square the lead edge one of two ways. On short runs we measure from the printed registration marks to the edge and trim. On longer runs we unroll the vinyl on our table. It has a glass top and is square. We align the long edge with the table and cut the feed edge with our cutter.
Problem is worse on 60" rolls vs 54".
Thanks!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
No offense but I wouldn't be so quick to blame the machine. Not saying they don't get out of adjustment but even when they are, they are usually still usable. I try to keep everything on a take up roll. When it goes to the laminator, you can pull the print in and the tension of the roll holder will pretty much guarantee that it is straight.