• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator USTECH issues

rcook99

I have a 64" USTECH that I bought new and has started giving me issues with bubbles when laminating 30" vinyl. I may be at fault for leaving it loaded at times. Keep in mind I only run 30" material as I don't prefer to do larger signage at my age. LOL

So I am in the market for a new laminator and have looked at a 55" for resale down the road. I just don't see it being used for 54" material. Should I go with a 30" or the larger 55" and what brand would you suggest and why. I do run a HP Latex 315 but the only larger stuff I print are banners. Printed vinyl is 30" and has been for the last 10 years. I also run a 30" Summa plotter. Any help on brand and size would be appreciated.

cmoist

In my experience, the smaller width laminators all come with smaller diameter rollers as well.

GFP has the 230C 30" with 2.5" rollers instead of the 5" of the others
RS has the RSC-820CLS at 32"

I have a GFP 355TH and quite like it.

rcook99

In my experience, the smaller width laminators all come with smaller diameter rollers as well.

GFP has the 230C 30" with 2.5" rollers instead of the 5" of the others
RS has the RSC-820CLS at 32"

I have a GFP 355TH and quite like it.
I would guess they make adapters for the 3" material, but I will have to check to be sure. I assume your GFP is 55" based on model number. There is a used 30" GFP about 3 1/2 hours from me for sale. Wish it was closer so I can go and run a test on it to see how it does instead of traveling that far to just find out it may have issues. Did you purchase your GFP new?

cmoist

I would guess they make adapters for the 3" material, but I will have to check to be sure. I assume your GFP is 55" based on model number. There is a used 30" GFP about 3 1/2 hours from me for sale. Wish it was closer so I can go and run a test on it to see how it does instead of traveling that far to just find out it may have issues. Did you purchase your GFP new?
Yes, purchased new.

When talking about the rollers, I don't mean the infeed core size. I mean the silicone rollers that do the laminating. I assume all of the infeed and takeup reels will accommodate 3" cores typical of most vinyls and laminates.

rcook99

Yes, purchased new.

When talking about the rollers, I don't mean the infeed core size. I mean the silicone rollers that do the laminating. I assume all of the infeed and takeup reels will accommodate 3" cores typical of most vinyls and laminates.
Ah okay, thanks for clarifying. Was looking at the 30" GFP and noticed they don't use the same roll holders on the 30" as they do on the larger laminators. The larger ones slide on and the 30" has one on each end of the roll holder that has to be put on with with allen head screws. Seems like a pain for changing rolls. Go to the 2:17 mark in the video to see what I am referring to.

cmoist

Ah okay, thanks for clarifying. Was looking at the 30" GFP and noticed they don't use the same roll holders on the 30" as they do on the larger laminators. The larger ones slide on and the 30" has one on each end of the roll holder that has to be put on with with allen head screws. Seems like a pain for changing rolls. Go to the 2:17 mark in the video to see what I am referring to.
Gotcha. Yeah, doesn't look great. Just seems like the smaller laminators lack features the bigger ones come with.

truckgraphics

It's strange your USTech won't laminate the 30" vinyl. Our 54" USTech won't do anything past 30" without bubbles, so we keep it loaded only for the shorter rolls. If I'm not mistaken, this was a common problem...

My rambling aside, we replaced the USTech with a 60" Dmais about three years ago and it's the best laminator of the three we've had. It was also really inexpensive at $2,000 or so. It also has an excellent take up roll system and includes a heater which we've never used. Not sure there are too many in the US though and woe are we if spare parts are needed. Probably no different than the USTech. We also have a 38" Daige (spelling?), which still works fine after almost 20 years, but has no features.

rcook99

It's strange your USTech won't laminate the 30" vinyl. Our 54" USTech won't do anything past 30" without bubbles, so we keep it loaded only for the shorter rolls. If I'm not mistaken, this was a common problem...

My rambling aside, we replaced the USTech with a 60" Dmais about three years ago and it's the best laminator of the three we've had. It was also really inexpensive at $2,000 or so. It also has an excellent take up roll system and includes a heater which we've never used. Not sure there are too many in the US though and woe are we if spare parts are needed. Probably no different than the USTech. We also have a 38" Daige (spelling?), which still works fine after almost 20 years, but has no features.
Never had issues until recently doing 30" wide material. So now I am looking at a Royal Sovereign or GFP laminator for a replacement. Will look at 30" but may end up going bigger as the 30"gfp does not load as easier as the larger version of GFP. The 30" requires an allen wrench to change media rolls. That seems like a pain. lol